Proc playlist: dinner and a song

When we think about music at 58 Hepburn Road, minds jump to the WRMC radio station. But let us not overlook the other musical hub at the same address: Proctor Dining Hall itself. 

If you walk into the dining hall on a typical morning, weekday or weekend, you cannot help but be swept up by classically feel-good tunes. Making a bagel, you tap your toe to Taylor Swift. Pouring your coffee, you hum along to Queen. As you walk past the dish room on the way to the booths, you can’t help but sing aloud as Michael Bublé streams through the door. 

To find out more about the morning music-makers, The Campus reached out to the pulse of the dining hall: its staff members. Read on to discover the tunes that make them tick.

John Hughes – Cook, Proctor Dining Hall 

Song 1: “Don’t Stop Believin’”
Album: “Escape” (1981) by Journey
Blurb: Probably one of the best songs ever! This song has played many times in all the kitchens I have worked in throughout my 30 years of experience. 

Song 2: “Cotton Eye Joe”
Album: “Sex & Violins” (1995) by Rednex
Blurb: Lots of Thursday mornings I’ll just put on the one-hit wonders station. Students seem to really love hearing one-hit wonders. Also if you are lucky you can catch a few of my co-workers performing the dance that goes with the song. 

Patrick Greene – Prep Cook, Atwater Dining Hall

Song: “’Til You Can’t”
Album: “Human The Double Album” (2021) by Cody Johnson
Blurb: I like this song because life is too short. Don’t give up, take your chance, and live it.

For some dining hall staff, choosing a song or two was just too tall an order! Here are a few extra servings:

Dean Bachand – Sous Chef, Ross Dining Hall

Songs: “Let it Be” (The Beatles), “Tangled up in Blue” (Bob Dylan), “Throwing Stones” (Grateful Dead), “Jimmy Olsen’s Blues” (Spin Doctors), “Romeo and Juliet” (Dire Straits), “You Can Call Me Al” (Paul Simon), and “The Boxer” (Simon & Garfunkel). 

Wren Hobbs – Cook

Songs: A self-professed “huge music lover,” Wren had a list of 75 songs to recommend! While we couldn’t include them all here, his favorite artists included Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift and Twenty One Pilots. 

Top of the list? “Levitating (feat. DaBaby)” (Dua Lipa), “Dancing in the Moonlight” (Toploader), “C’est La Vie” (Yung Gravy, bbno$ & Rich Brian) and “Daylight” (Matt and Kim).

Chris Laframboise – Chef, Ross Dining Hall

Album: “Hartford 5/15/2010 Bootleg” (2010) by Pearl Jam
Blurb: I’m a huge fan of music, and my go-to band is Pearl Jam. One thing Pearl Jam does is they record all their concerts and within 24 hours you can download a professional recorded show. Each show is different and unique. Eddie Vedder (Lead Singer) will learn the history and current events of the city they are playing in and alter lyrics in some songs to reflect the city. They also are incredible about interacting with the crowd, and this makes the experience all the more special. Not only was it one of the many Pearl Jam shows I’ve been to, but it’s kind of nice to be able to relive the experience whenever I want. 

Song 1: “Off the Ground”
Album: “Give It Back to You” (2016) by The Record Company
Blurb: A great song about looking inward and realizing you need to help yourself, and that could be taking yourself out of your current [situation] and finding a new one.

Song 2: “Keep The Wolves Away”
Album: “And You Are Me” (2012) by Uncle Lucius
Blurb: It’s rare to find a song that tells a story so clearly from beginning to end. Not only that, but it’s a true story. You just do not come across songs like this that often. Live versions are the best.

Song 3: “The Lion The Beast The Beat”
Album: “The Lion The Beast The Beat” (2012) by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Blurb: Local band, just love how slow it starts and slowly builds; then the change, just great. Similar to The Black Keys’ “Little Black Submarines” or Noah Kahan’s “Your Needs, My Needs.” Live versions are the best.

Song 4: “Figure It Out”
Album: “Royal Blood” (2014) by Royal Blood
Blurb: Two guys making all that noise with just a bass and drums. 

Song 5: “Burn To Shine”
Album: “Burn To Shine” (1999) by Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
Blurb: It’s Ben Harper –  can’t go wrong, seen him multiple times.

Through such a variety of music, Proc staff members concretize the idea of “dinner and a show.” Let this be a sign: the next time you walk into Proc, take off your headphones and listen to the music that is already playing. You might just hear your new (or old) favorite song.

Acadia Klepeis

Acadia Klepeis ’24 (she/her) is an Arts & Culture Editor. 

She is an English major and a French and Francophone Studies minor. Last year, Cadi studied literature in Paris and in Oxford through Middlebury’s school abroad programs. She spent this past summer working as a communications intern for the Vermont Arts Council. Previously, she completed internships with Tuttle Publishing, Theatre in Paris, and Town Hall Theater. Cadi is also on the board for Middlebury College Musical Theatre.