Shelburne, Vt.-based thrift store doubles as nonprofit, aims to strengthen community

The two-story yellow house located along Highway 7 houses the SCHIP nonprofit resale store.

Driving along Route 7 between Burlington and Middlebury, it is almost certain that passers-by will notice a quaint, two-story yellow building that houses Shelburne Charlotte Hinesburg Interfaith Projects, also known as SCHIP. 

The nonprofit resale store sells jewelry, designer clothing, artwork and antiques.

SCHIP was founded in 2003 by a group of pastors who saw an opportunity to turn the used clothing they received from the community into income which could be redirected back into the local area. The store accepts gently used goods which are then sent to a warehouse to be thoroughly checked, cleaned and eventually tagged for sale in the store, according to Douglas Taff, chairman of the board at SCHIP.

Any profits made from sales are distributed in the form of grants, most commonly in amounts of up to $3,000. Since its inception, SCHIP has granted over $885,000 to local organizations, churches and schools located across the towns of Shelburne, Charlotte and Hinesburg, Vt. Although there are many factors in the grant-giving decision, Taff emphasized that SCHIP does not give grants for payroll purposes or for ongoing operations. Instead, the nonprofit looks out for new operations and ideas to fund and aims to help organizations become self-sustaining.

Taff cited an example with the Shelburne Rescue last fall, which sought upgraded paramedic equipment last year that would have cost $19,000. SCHIP was able to provide $9,000 as seed money to the department, which allowed them to raise more funds and successfully acquire the new system.

“We said, “I think this is enough seed money for you to proceed and get the rest” and of course they did. Once someone has actually started the ball rolling, that did it.” Taff said. “What we

do is we turn this volume of clothes into grants.”

The store’s customers range from community members to tourists. Ali Gately, head of publicity for SCHIP, attributed the organization’s wide range of customers to its extensive selection, affordable prices and the store’s philanthropic mission.

Aine Powers ’24 visited the store with friends over February break, when the group purchased an $11 L.L Bean sweater along with two handmade sweaters.

“It felt great to feel like you were giving back to the community by shopping there. Thrifting is already more environmentally friendly than buying new and a well-loved choice for college students with low budgets so the mission of the store definitely made it an even better option,” Powers wrote in a message to The Campus.

However, like many businesses, SCHIP was disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic when the store had to temporarily shut down. Despite this setback, Taff highlighted the tremendous growth SCHIP has experienced recently, with sales doubling in size in the last three years. 

He attributed the success partly to the store’s transition to a more digitized operation, which meant replacing old cash registers, collecting emails and directing mail to customers about sales. Gately added that the recent incorporation of Square, the mobile point-of-sale system, has been monumental in helping track business inventory and expanding the amount of sales it makes outside the physical store. 

“We get to see what sells, during which month, what's popular, what isn't, what are the best months for sales, etc,” Gately said. “So this introduction of the Square, which happened last year, has really broadened our ability to to sell more and do more and be more aware of what the community needs are.” 

Another key player in the success of the organization, Taff shared, was SCHIP’s diversification of the organization’s board and unique employment system. For example, one team member was previously involved in the New York City fashion industry, and with her expertise, the organization was able to better understand what items they were receiving and how to price them. 

The improvements have allowed SCHIP to recently introduce larger grants, up to $15,000, to local organizations. To be eligible for this grant, SCHIP requires businesses to provide a comprehensive business plan and a six month report that details the planned use of the grant. 

One of these larger grants was used to fund Shelburne Rescue’s new paramedical system, Taff explained. 

SCHIP’s recent rapid growth, however, has also led to new challenges. Taff said that the store receives up to 30 large garbage bags worth of donated goods per week, which the 900 square foot shop cannot always accommodate. 

Their solution has been to recycle items by passing them on to ReStore, a homebuilding nonprofit organization. While expanding the space might be in store for the future, for now, Gates said, SCHIP’s priority lies in assisting the citizens of its communities. 

“We want the money to go to grants. That's our whole mission. So as much as we'd love to get a bigger space, it's not about us. It's about the community,” she said. 

Taff credited SCHIP’s employees for its growing vitality, noting that the staff do much of the work. The team includes many retired community members, along with college students looking to earn extra money. 

SCHIP does not employ anyone full time, with people working anywhere from four hours to thirty hours a week.  

“So they're all working there because they want to, not because they have to. And the other thing is we pay relatively good wages. Actually excellent wages. For these people, we want their 100%,” Taff said. 

Gately added that the Vermont community has been crucial to the store’s success throughout the years. 

“We've been very, very fortunate and I think a lot of that has to do with the Vermont mentality and it just seems to be a place that has risen in importance,” Gately said. ‘It's the spirit of donating, of giving back, volunteering and yet seeing the fruits of your labors.”

With an eye to the future, Taff explained how SCHIP has multiple avenues such as online sales, more and bigger locations, and new fashion lines to expand while keeping itself grounded in the local community.

“Someday we will need more space. But at no time will we want to move very far from

where we are in our communities, which have been great support,” Taff said. “We’re going to stay right on Route 7 in Shelburne if we can.”