Reel Critic - 2/10/11

Watch Parks and Recreation. Seriously, do it. I know; you saw an episode in the first season and it wasn’t for you. Try again. Generally, in today’s age of serialized television, people feel the need to watch a show from its first episode to get to know the entire story, the character nuances, the inside jokes. This show is an exception to that; this is a very different show now then it was during its wavering infancy of season one. Were you put off because it was too similar to The Office and you were “over” cringe-comedy? Well Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope is trying to be Michael Scott no more. She is a far more positive character than that. If Michael is pathetic because he’s bumbling, malicious and self-centered, then Leslie is pathetic because she is selfless, over-qualified and over-committed. The takeaway point here is that Parks and Recreation has fast become my favorite show on NBC’s loaded Thursday night of comedy and now would be the perfect time to hop on the bandwagon.

Now three episodes in, season three is proving to be just as strong as season two was. You would be hard pressed to find a half-hour comedy that has had this strong of a run since Arrested Development season two; it’s that good. Already surrounded by an impressive supporting cast, Parks and Rec added TV veteran Rob Lowe and cult favorite Party Down star Adam Scott to the show this year as state auditors looking into the failing Pawnee Parks Department. Having only been in five episodes so far, the two have enmeshed themselves into Pawnee so well that it’s now hard to imagine the show without them in it. Additionally, some of deeper supporting characters have been given more to work with and have risen to the occasion, particularly Andy Dwyer, played brilliantly by Chris Pratt. Andy gives new meaning to “loveable idiot.” Not particularly intelligent or ambitious, but always happy and willing to try to help, the writers and Pratt have made it okay to like the simple guy. In stark contrast to the shows surrounding it where cool and likeable means disaffected (see: Liz Lemon, Jim Halpert, Jeff Winger), Parks and Rec has made it okay to root for the genuine and unironic.

Just being able to take such an interest in Andy, the 8th billed actor on the show, proves what good shape this show is in. The show has created such an interesting world for these talented comedic actors to play in that at this point I’d be willing to watch a full episode on almost any subplot they offer. Whether it be Aziz Ansari’s one-liners as Tom, Nick Offerman’s musings on manhood as Ron, Aubrey Plaza’s deadpan delivery of anything as April, or Rashida Jones’ constantly charming Ann, all of the show’s secondary characters and their actors prove to have more dimensions, comedic timing, and acting ability than their somewhat comparable counterparts in Scranton.

No show has ever done such a complete 180-degree turn in quality that to compare the current state of Parks and Rec to season one is like talking about another show. It’s a shame NBC bumped it from the fall lineup for the at best clichéd and at worst racist mess, Outsourced, but this just proves that if you don’t start watching now, you might miss your opportunity. Seriously, starting watching Parks and Rec tonight, knowing nothing about it; just turn it on. Do yourself that favor so in two years when it becomes the most popular show on DVD once it’s cancelled, you can say that you watched it when it was on. You won’t regret it. The future of this show relies on you, Campus reader. Thank you. Or should I say, you’re welcome.

More about Parks and Recreation:
Show Homepage at nbc.com
Highlights: Season 3 Premiere
Entertainment Weekly Review