Saturday, May 4, 2024

Languor, Lassitude, and Laughter DeLuca's Recipe for Success

Author: Hans Manzke

Hypnotist Tom DeLuca knows how to play to his talents. His polished show last Friday night had the McCullough Social Space in stitches for the entirety of his two hour performance, revealing both DeLuca's sharp wit and some things that we never thought we would know about our peers. The presence of scores of parents made the situations presented during the show acutely humorous and applicable. Thanking his "spiritual guide" Ms. Cleo, DeLuca chose 19 students and two parents to undergo hypnosis. DeLuca immediately discontinued the use of the microphone while administering to his volunteers, but the general gist of his method seems to revolve around deep relaxation.

Results were nearly automatic and slightly disturbing - 21 heads slumped simultaneously on DeLuca's command, eliciting astonished reactions from the crowd. What followed can best be described as hilarious, if not completely unexpected. While DeLuca's sardonic, pedestrian sense of humor wasn't for everyone, and the generational gap quickly became apparent, he knew when to step out of the spotlight. Relegating the starring role to his volunteers, DeLuca treated the audience to a male ballet duet, an enthusiastic rendition of Britney Spears' "Oops, I Did It Again," and a stunning exhibition of body-building prowess. David Barker '06 was made to believe that fruit had feelings and went on to protect an apple and a banana, which he named Happy and Chiquita, respectively. He also participated in the ballet duet, and when asked for his foremost influence in ballet, he immediately responded with "Puff Daddy."

DeLuca's routine and success are dependent on his volunteers - the deep, dark recesses of the average college student's mind will almost always be hilarious and intriguing to other college students. DeLuca's volunteers seemed to be transported to a world where their cares slipped away, and they were free to act in ways that they probably would not in everyday life. This performance served to illuminate the hold that popular convention has on us in day-to-day life. While this insight can be surprising, and can foster some serious introspection, it is a joy to see our peers laying themselves bare.

Barker weighed in again after the show, stating that being hypnotized was "a warm feeling, like hitting the snooze button," while Chris Heinrich '07 said, "I remembered everything I did, but things that other people found funny, I just thought were stupid." Emotional withdrawal seemed to be pervasive among the volunteers, while DeLuca himself called the Middlebury show "terrific, a really fun group of kids." He also cited the basis hypnosis has in psychology and the imagination, stating that detachment is neccessary for the success of the show. Special Events Chair Meredith Kernan '05 of the Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB), which sponsored the event, cited the sold out crowd of 300 as a clear indicator of success. The continued overhauling of McCullough as a valid social alternative versus off-campus locales remains high on MCAB's list of priorities. DeLuca's primary targets are both colleges and corporations, as cited on his Web site. He has performed for corporations like Microsoft, Capital One, American Express, Citigroup, BMW, Aetna and Anheuser-Busch. His college performances earned him this year's National Association of College Activity Boards (NACA) Variety Entertainer of the Year. He performs annually at the University of Virginia to a crowd of around 10,000, and this is the second year he has performed at Middlebury. With his ability to cater to his audience, it's easy to see why Tom DeLuca's show is as popular as it is.