Harsh Realism Behind 'The Illusion'

Author: Suzanne Moses

In celebration of traditional theater, a red curtain hung at Wright Memorial Theatre Nov. 21 through 23 for "The Illusion," written by Pierre Corneille, freely adapted by Tony Kushner and directed by Visiting Instructor in Theater Claudio Medeiros '90. Gusts of wind blew from beneath the stage to establish the mystique of the magical production.
The ominous presence felt behind the curtain was complemented by looming stone walls surrounding the stage. Senior Tim Riedel designed and executed the set, which was the frame for a magician's cave of mystery.
This meta-dramatic play investigated the role and interconnected relationships between the audience, actors and director.
Alecandre, a magician, conjures up the illusion of theatrical scenes for a distraught father, Pridamant of Avignon, in search of his long lost son. The theatrical scenes, produced and directed by Alecandre, become theater for the primary audience, Pridamant and Alecandre's assistant.
The play's actual audience becomes a secondary audience watching Alecandre, the assistant and Pridamant becoming the secondary action. The voyeurism was circular -- as the audience watched the plot unravel, the actors penetrated the spectators' world by walking up and down the corridors and jumping off the stage onto the floor.
The acting was magnificent. Highlights included Daniel Eichner's '04 hilarious portrayal as Clindor and Christopher Richards '03 in the bizarre role of The Amanuensis. Kate Pines-Schwartz '03 clearly embodied the mystique of Alecandre. When her arms, draped in flowing black cloth, would lift into the air, magical power seemed to emanate from the tips of her fingers in an overdramatic sensation. Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre, Lonie Fullerton's costumes were colorful and time-specific. They enhanced the believability of the spectacle of the "The Illusion."
Medeiros made a directorial decision to reveal the crew "behind the scenes" in the final scene. The curtain deflated to the ground, leaving a series of industrial-size fans oscillating in its wake. This choice resulted in serious implications.
Primarily, seeing the stark, mechanical equipment and the crew clad in black gave witness and tribute to the anonymous heroes of all theatrical presentations. This unseen faction rarely receives the recognition that they deserve, and "The Illusion" revealed the crew in a cheering appreciation.
However, it exposed Alecandre's character as a fraud. Like discovering that Santa Claus is your father, the entire production based upon the mystery, excitement and ambiguity of magic, suddenly deflated into a modern disappointment of realism.
Despite becoming disenchanted, the audience was left pleading for more laughter and mystery.