Women’s tennis holds 4–0 streak in NESCAC

The women’s tennis team is 4-0 in the NESCAC this season.

Despite last week’s snowfall, the 2024 spring athletic season is in full swing, and the Middlebury women’s tennis team is here to prove it. The Panthers are acing the competition, currently holding a 4–0 record and #2 standing within the NESCAC.

The team most recently defeated Connecticut College, crushing the Camels with an impressive 9-0 victory, marking its second straight NESCAC victory. Last month, the Panthers brought home three wins after facing Tufts University, Bates College and Williams College. While they defeated Tufts and Bates with ease — boasting scores of 7–2 and 9–0, respectively — their 5–4 win against Williams was no small feat. Taka Bertrand, the team’s head coach, credited the victory to a strong collective effort across both singles and doubles competition.

“It was a cumulative effort because doubles was tight across the two matches, and then we split the singles. So, it could have gone either way, but I thought the team held strong,” Bertrand said. “It was nice because I didn't know where the points were going to come from, and that's a great feeling.”

While the team has certainly dominated fellow New England competitors, their success reaches beyond the east coast. Over spring break, the Panthers traveled to California and competed in five matches within seven days, securing wins against California Lutheran University (8–1) and California Institute of Technology (7–2). Their matches against Emory University (3–6), Pomona-Pitzer Colleges (3–6) and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges (1–8), although losses, provided the team with key insights that have helped shape the rest of their season. 

“I think the spring break trip really helped us — we had five really tough matches out in California, and it showed us what we needed to work on,” Bertrand reflected. “I've been really pleased with how the team has been training since coming back.” 

The team’s hard work has paid off, leading them to more victories and giving them a boost of confidence. Amy Delman ’24, one of the team’s captains, reflected on the group’s increased momentum and believes that this drive will lead the Panthers to their first-ever conference title. 

“We unfortunately didn't get the conference title last year. But I think this year, we're in a much better spot,” Delman said. “We’re a lot more confident this year and just really hungry to get that first-ever conference title.”

While players are certainly eager to claim a championship title, Delman also credited the team’s drive to the supportive environment and united front among all members. 

“We're friends before teammates,” Delman said. “We all just love spending time with each other on and off the court, and I think that really translates well onto the courts.”

Whether stepping onto the courts in Middlebury or Pasadena, Calif., the women’s tennis team has made their presence known this season. Their drive, well-earned confidence and supportive team environment make their high ranking no surprise. This group of Panthers is one to look out for as they close out their regular season and fight for a NESCAC championship title later this month.