Student-led fitness offerings at a glance

Middlebury spin classes are sweaty and inspiring.

There is no question that there is a strong culture on campus of athletics, even beyond students on varsity teams. Over the years, students have organized group fitness efforts to combine athletic pursuits and social life. Taking eight classes of one of the activities can even grant you a PE credit. For students looking for physical activity outside of solitary workouts at the athletics center, the student-led fitness classes this fall feature a wide range of opportunities to meet students at their own fitness level and interests. 

Nestled in the corner of campus at the Freeman International Center YouPower spin classes are a great chance to sweat and pedal to the rhythm of dance classics. YouPower provides shoes and equipment for participants, and the studio has a sound and lighting system sure to keep the class in high spirits. Instructors are always available at the beginning of the class to help adjust the bikes for individual riders’ needs. Classes can be challenging, but instructors often offer modifications, and the bikes’ resistance wheels can be easily adjusted to help you feel in control of your workout. I’ve had a blast in the classes I’ve gone to. During my last session, the instructor played an assortment of Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and HAIM, and attendees ate up every second. You can sign up on the Mindbody app the day prior, but you better hurry because spots go fast! 

An evergreen staple for Midd Kids, the Yoga Club is in full swing this semester. With classes every day of the week in the Forest Basement tailored to different paces and styles, the club has something for every yogi. I went to Kate Goodman ’24’s Monday afternoon Inferno Pilates class and was both humbled by the difficulty and laughing the whole way through. It was 60 minutes to take my mind off school and check in with muscles I didn’t know I had. Not every Yoga Club class is this intense, however — there are plenty of classes that offer a more Yin-inspired, slow flow practice. No sign-ups necessary.

Log Rolling Club, the nation’s oldest collegiate group dedicated to this sport, meets on Wednesdays from 2:30–4 p.m. and on Sundays from 1:30-3 p.m. in the natatorium. Pioneered in logging camps in the late 1800s, log rolling involves two competitors standing on opposite ends of a free-floating log with the goal of knocking their opponent off through balance and sprinting techniques. Middlebury’s Log Rolling Club is bringing this historical sport into the present day with fun, often entertaining practices for beginners and experts alike. 

Founded in 2021 with the goal of unifying a diverse group of students to empower each other in pursuit of active, confident lifestyles, Uplift Middlebury is an inclusive space for students interested in movement and community. Uplift hosts hikes, dinners and weekly lifts on Friday at the Fritz Balcony in the athletics center at noon. Club participants can expect to feel supported and inspired at these events which aim to dismantle the competitive nature of Middlebury fitness culture. 

The Middlebury climbing wall is another popular destination, open six days a week to meet the Middlebury community’s climbing needs. The wall is fully student-run in the upstairs of the athletics center. The wall is a core component of the Middlebury Climbing Club which in the past has hosted beginner climbs, women and non-binary climbing hours and BIPOC hours. The Middlebury climbing wall is a great resource for students interested in cultivating climbing skills for real rock or looking to spend an afternoon bouldering on campus. 

Finally, kayaking clinics run by the Middlebury Mountain Club are being held this fall in the natatorium every Friday from 2:30–4 p.m. These clinics are suitable for kayakers at any level, providing a progression of skills beginning with wet exits and helping students work up to being able to roll a kayak in a safe, welcoming environment. Sign-ups are available at go/ideal/.

This is a non-exhaustive list of fitness-related happenings this fall. All of these activities and events are free of charge for Middlebury students. With plenty of options, there is hopefully something for everyone — but no judgment if your physical activity of choice is relaxing with a good book in an Adirondack chair. 

Editor’s Note: Maggie Bryan ’25 is the Senior Arts and Culture Editor and is a YouPower spin instructor.

Catherine Goodrich

Catherine Goodrich '24 (she/her) is an Arts and Culture Editor.

She previously served as a staff writer. Catherine is an English major and Film minor hailing from Birmingham, Alabama. She is the prose editor for Blackbird Literary Arts Journal and works concessions at the Middlebury Marquis where she's developed a love of trivia.