Seven Questions with Leo Urena ’24.5, football

Leo Urena ‘24.5 (#53) lines up for the snap in a Panthers loss to Wesleyan.

Leo Urena ’24.5 hails from Cresskill, N.J., and anchors the offensive line on the football team.  In this installment of Seven Questions, Leo discusses how he got started playing football, what makes this year’s team special and his teammate’s interesting affinity for milk.  

Ryan Heinzerling: How did you get into football?

Leo Urena: I was always interested in football from a young age. No real rhyme or reason besides the fact that I wanted to play a sport and football seemed to be the most fun of them all.

RH: What is exciting about this year's team?

LU: This year's team is a special group. A lot of guys have persevered through a lot of tough times together to make this season possible.

RH: What goes on off the field that contributes to success on the field?

LU: Practice and team chemistry. Football is a team sport where we need everyone to be on the same page on and off the field. The only way to ensure our success is through having great team chemistry, which is built through lifts, throwing sessions, and so much more.

RH: How have things been with new Head Coach Doug Mandigo?

LU: Coach Mandigo has been around the program for a very long time, so it doesn't really feel all that different, but he has definitely set a great example. He ensures that guys are pushing themselves to their limits mentally and physically.

RH: What is the proudest moment of your football career?

LU: Being able to commit to Middlebury was one of my proudest moments. Being able to come to such a great school and still being able to continue the sport I love is truly an amazing experience.

RH: I have heard that your teammate Thomas Perry ’25 is known for drinking a lot of milk. Does the whole football team drink as much milk as he does?

LU: Honestly I don't know if there is anyone that can drink as much milk as him, but he has definitely started a new trend on the team because a lot of guys are drinking more milk.

RH: What is your least favorite building on campus?

LU: Probably Gifford. It's always really hot in there for some reason.

Ryan Heinzerling

Ryan Heinzerling '24 (he/him/his) is one of the Sports Editors!  

He's studying English and Political Science. Outside of his studies, Ryan is also a member of the Middlebury College Ski Patrol, has a radio show at WRMC, and spent this previous summer working as a Corporate Partners Intern at the New York Mets!