Monday, May 23, 2022

Kent Hughes ’92, former Middlebury hockey star, named general manager of Montreal Canadiens

<p>Kent Hughes ’92 is Middlebury hockey’s all-time leader in assists (140) and points (194) in a career. Last fall, he was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame. (Courtesy of Todd Balfour)</p>

Kent Hughes ’92 is Middlebury hockey’s all-time leader in assists (140) and points (194) in a career. Last fall, he was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame. (Courtesy of Todd Balfour)

After spending over 25 years as a National Hockey League agent, Kent Hughes ’92 was named general manager of the Montreal Canadiens on Jan. 18. Hughes takes charge of a struggling franchise that currently sits eighth in the Atlantic Division. 

Hughes led Middlebury to a national championship in 1991 as a junior before captaining the team his senior year. Over the course of his final three seasons, the Panthers were 65–13–2. Hughes remains the top assist provider (140) and top points scorer (194) in program history, while also setting the single-season record in both categories in 1992. He was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in November 2020.

Hughes’ former coach, Bill Beaney, who now coaches the men’s golf team at Middlebury, was full of praise for his former player.

“If you spend long enough coaching you might be fortunate and lucky to have a player like Kent,” Beaney said in a news release. Beaney went on to describe Hughes as a “literal game changer, a transformative influence.” 

Hughes now faces the steep task of turning things around for the Canadiens, who return to action against the Anaheim Ducks at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 27.

Charles Crounse

Charles Crounse '24 is a sports editor. 

He writes primarily for the sports section, contributing both coverage of team performances as well as feature articles. This is his second year writing for The Campus. Crounse is pursuing a double major in French and Environmental Studies with a focus in environmental policy. He is also a writer and editor for Middlebury Geographic, the school's primary travel magazine, and is a presenter for the Language in Motion program. In his free time, Crounse enjoys reading, writing, and being outdoors. 

He is also a member of the men's crew team and competes with them during the fall and spring seasons.