Season in review: Men’s track and field

<span class="photocreditinline">Van Barth/The Middlebury Campus</span><br />Men’s track &amp; field competed against Hamilton on Saturday, May 8
Van Barth/The Middlebury Campus
Men’s track & field competed against Hamilton on Saturday, May 8

Men’s track and field ended their season on a high note as they traveled to Williams College this weekend, competing against several colleges including Tufts, Amherst and Williams. 

While the event wasn’t scored, it didn’t stop Middlebury from showing out: Quinlan McGaugh ’22 placed second in the 1500-meter with a time of 3 minutes, 57.21 seconds, while Aaron Tobias ’24 took the silver in the 100 with a time of 11.03. 

Nothing stopped Middlebury in the throwing events either, as Nathaniel Klein ’21 snatched first in both the hammer throw (46.01 meters) and shot put (13.93 meters). James Caprio ’21 also won the discus with an impressive throw of 42.58 meters. 

“I feel incredibly thankful to the coaches and administration who worked hard to make it happen,” Klein stated. “I am sad to leave but I had a wonderful time competing for Midd, and I know our team has a bright future.”

Some athletes will get the chance to compete a final time in the Tufts Last-Chance Meet at Tufts University today, May 20, yet most will be finished and looking onward toward summer. 

While there was no NESCAC Championship meet this season, several Panthers earned All-NESCAC honors. Nadji Ngbokoli ’24, Matthew Durst ’21, Finn Warner ’24, and Tobias each earned this honor with their 43.54-second mark in the 4x100, while Arden Coleman ‘21 also took home the distinction with a 49.72 second 400.

Klein and Zack Seib ’21 were also tabbed All-NESCAC athletes, the second time each thrower has earned the honor.