Women’s Lax Flexes Muscles with Double Header Sweep

This team is dominant. The Panthers showed up on Saturday and Sunday as they produced two road wins that extended their current win streak to 25 straight games. The women’s lacrosse team is firing on all cylinders and it seems as if no one can stand in their way, even this early in the season.

On Saturday, the women traveled to Connecticut College. The lopsided 13-3 first half set the Panthers up to calmly cruise to a 16-5 final game score. The frightening offensive duo that includes Emily Barnard ’20 and Julia Earley ’22 thrashed the Camels’ defense by recording 7 points each. The Panther defense didn’t let much past them, but in the rare chances they did, goalie Julia White ’20 stepped up and made 4 great saves.

“At this point in the season we are excited to have 3 strong wins under our belt and are looking forward to unlocking our teams potential as we continue to face tough opponents,” said Barnard, team captain and leading point scorer. “We have an amazing group of 28 girls that connect really well on and off the field and just want to take advantage of every opportunity we get to improve!” 

The Sunday game included even more fervor as the Panthers relentlessly overpowered Springfield. The early lead was continued by an onslaught of scoring for Middlebury that left the final score at 23-4. This game can truly be considered a team effort as six different players tallied a hat trick, including first-year’s Susan Rowley ’23 and Nikki Mormile ’23.

“In terms of how the freshmen are feeling, we’ve all been looking forward to the start of the season since the fall, so it is super exciting for it to be finally here and to have our first college lacrosse games,” said Rowley,  leading scorer among first-years. “We can’t wait for the rest of a fun and hopefully successful spring!” said Rowley.

The Panthers seem to show no signs of slowing down. Their next game will be this coming Saturday, when they host Trinity at 2:00.