Sex Panther

For my last column of the year, I wanted to touch on a more serious issue. Inspired by recent events in my life as well as many friends, and also various Middfesh stories, I believe it is important to discuss the very serious issue of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). While sex comes with a lot of great things, if people aren’t safe, it can come with some scary aspects, too.

From speaking with my peers on this campus, it seems that there is a general attitude of “it happens, but not here” with regards to STDs. I’m not sure why this is — perhaps it’s the relatively affluent make-up of the school, or the fact that no one seems to talk about these problems. But Middlebury is no exception. In fact, I have personally known more than a few kids with a scare or two. Getting tested is terrifying and nerve-wracking, but definitely important.

I myself have had my own scare. After a friend who I had been with notified me that they had tested positive for an infection, I was terrified. I had done everything right, put everything on correctly, but still went to get tested immediately. Luckily, everything ended up negative, but after getting tested, I realized how easy and how necessary it was, and how rarely college students actually seem to get tested.

Many people might believe that as long as you use a condom, everything will be fine. And to some extent, this is true. But what a lot of people forget is how easy it is to forget to use protection. The girl is on the pill, the last condom broke or expired, you are drunk and it feels better. The list of excuses for refraining from using protection goes on and on. And a lot of people feel that, with their 3.8 GPA, perfect figure and 3 job interviews lined up, that they are untouchable. Whatever the reasons may be, a fair amount of college students don’t always follow the seemingly “obvious” rules of sex protection. In fact, the National College Health Assessment estimates that up to one half of college students don’t use condoms during sex.

However, the lack of awareness about these issues actually makes the problem more serious. Some stats say that up to 80% of people infected with STDs show no immediate symptoms. This, combined with the College’s known hookup culture, makes spreading diseases that much easier. And even for those that get tested, going back and informing past partners is awkward, especially if they were a random one-night stand.

Some of the major diseases, such as HPV and chlamydia, can show absolutely no signs in men or women. However, in order to practice safe sex, it is extremely important to get tested. The CDC states that nearly one half of the 20 million people newly diagnosed with STDs year fit under the 15-24 age bracket. So remember, any time you think you’ve been in a risky situation, or even if you have recently switched a few partners, get tested. Yearly. The worst thing you could do is ignore these issues and potentially hurt yourself and the college community.

FYI: The Parton Health Center does STD and HIV testing, as well as the Planned Parenthood in town, and these are both normally confidential. There is a lot more information online so you can find the best method for you.