Women's Soccer

Author: Peter Baumann

After finishing with a 9-5-2 record a year ago and ending the season with a disappointing loss in the NESCAC semi-finals, women's soccer enters the year with an experienced and talented roster.

Graduation mainly hit the Panthers on the back line, where they lost second-team All-NESCAC performer Elise Tarbi '08 and classmate Kim Kennedy '08. To make up for these losses, head coach Peter Kim has moved Anjuli Demers '10, a two-year starter and All-NESCAC performer, to one of the team's two center-back positions. Demers and Zoe Victor '09 will anchor the defense, while Lauryn Torch '11 and Adele Plunkett '09 will likely share time between the pipes.

Their job is made easier by the potent Panther offense, a unit that returns virtually intact from the squad that finished second in the Conference a year ago in goals-per-game. Caitlin Parker '09, Margret Owen '10 and Nora Tomlinson-Weintraub '10 each played significant roles last year, and last year's leading scorer, Ashley Pfaff '09, will provide added punch off the bench.

To help add to their offensive output, the team has fully embraced a new strategy. The Panthers will use their outside backs to initiate the offense from the wings to open up room in the middle for Middlebury's playmakers to operate.

"Our outside defenders are really strong," said Tomlinson-Weintraub, "and they will be really important for our success this year."

The team came up short in their two opening games this past weekend, but nonetheless recognizes the opportunity that exists.

"We all realize that we have an amazing amount of potential," said Tomlinson-Weintraub. "Now we just need to capitalize on it."

With reigning league champion Williams once again looking strong, watch for the Panthers to find themselves in a dogfight at the top of the standings.