Men's Soccer

Author: Emma Gardner

After capturing its first-ever NCAA Championship last year and a school record of 18 wins against two losses and two ties, the men's soccer team is gearing up for what promises to be another dazzling season.

David Saward is back for his 24th season as Head Coach, this time with the additional title of NSCAA/Adidas National Coach of the Year. While the team has a number of new accolades to proudly display in Kenyon's trophy case, the graduation of several star players last spring has left room for improvement on both the offensive and defensive sides. The men will strive to reinforce their attack strategy, relying on solid defense and midfield players along with the addition of fresh talent on the field.

First-years to look out for include Robbie Redmond '12 and Vermont's own Tyler Macnee '12 - two young players who will surely light up the field this fall. As tri-captains Brian Bush '09, Allen Bourdon '08.5 and Baer Fisher '09 return for their final season, the team will receive direction from three veteran Middlebury soccer players with high hopes for the year.

"We've lost a really talented group of five seniors," admits Fisher. "But with the addition of the freshmen, new players should step into new roles and we should be alright. We're just as talented - if not more so - than we have been in other years."

The men play Amherst at home on Sept. 13 in a battle that will likely display the capabilities of the new lineup as well as introduce the crowd to some new faces.

On the heels of the most successful season in the program's history, the men hope to dribble their way to another pair of NESCAC and NCAA victories.