Darfur tent puts hope into action

Author: Maggie Moslander

In February 2003, Sudanese government-sponsored militias began systematically killing and torturing innocent civilians. Presently, as many as 400,000 people have been killed and as many as 2.5 million have been displaced.

On Oct. 13, the Middlebury Farmers' Market hosted Tents of Hope, a national organization raising awareness about genocide in the Sudan. The tent in Middlebury is a collaborative effort between the College Chaplain, the Stand Up for Darfur Student Organization and the Middlebury Area Clergy Association, and is run by volunteers from the College and the larger Middlebury community.

Located in a sunny, vibrant spot among the many other tents selling food and crafts at the market, the Darfur tent was made unique by the mural gracing the cloth exterior, which was painted by area schoolchildren and others who happened to stroll by that morning. Inside the tent, however, was where the mission of Tents of Hope emerged­ - there were petitions to sign, which will be sent to the President, the United Nations Secretary General and various congressional coalitions. In addition, volunteers dispensed postcards that could be filled out and sent to senators or congressmen and numerous pamphlets for those looking to gather information about the situation in Darfur.

Laurie Jordan, the Middlebury College Chaplain, strolled outside of the tent, explaining exactly what those running Tents of Hope would like to accomplish. There are essentially four main goals: education, advocacy, raising humanitarian donations, and interfaith cooperation to support those fighting to end genocide.

The goals of education and advocacy were clearly accomplished at the event - each page of the petition quickly filled with signatures and the stacks of postcards to be sent to members of the government grew with each passing minute. There was also a youth group sitting in a circle in the middle of the market discussing the literature they had received from the tent. The volunteers at the tent compelled people to action by providing pre-printed labels with the addresses of senators and congressman already attached to the postcards.

The group was also struggling to raise humanitarian donations. While petition-signing and postcard-writing were in full swing on Saturday, the donation jar was far less than half-full. The group does, however, have a plan to ameliorate the situation - it is partnering with the Addison County Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty (CROP) Hunger Walk to raise money for refugees and workers in the Sudan. The CROP Hunger Walk sends seventy-five percent of funds raised to the Church World Service, which is supporting humanitarian aid in Darfur as one of its main causes this year. Jordan, in particular, was steering passers-by in the direction of the CROP walk, handing out donation envelopes and instructions for registering online to participate and raise funds.

Another effect of Tents of Hope was to encourage interfaith cooperation, which was accomplished by the participation of many different members of the clergy from both the College and greater Middlebury community. The genocide in Darfur is a tragedy that transcends the boundaries of religion and impels all who hear about the situation to act to improve the situation. Coupled with the dedication of the volunteers, the breadth of information offered and the ease of involvement, the event made participants feel like they could actually make a difference.

Those who missed the tent last weekend can look out for it this coming weekend and the weekend after. On Sept. 20, the tent will be pitched on the Middlebury Town Green and on Sept. 27 it will be set up at the College. The CROP walk will take place in October over Fall Family Weekend. So, when you can take a break from all that Saturday studying, stroll down, do some tent-painting, grab some information and sign some petitions.