Letters to the editor

To the Editor:

Does anyone else find it ironic that Jordan Nassar is up in arms about the proposed Mill eviction? He suggests that that xenophobia and homophobia are primary drivers behind the measure. He may have a point, but I can't help but find humor, if not inconsistency, in his sanctimonious argument. Remember, this is coming from the same person who chides us with his own uncompromising and narrow-minded viewpoints on a regular basis. He justifies his militant fashion opinions under the guise of "trying to help us out" yet this sort of self-anointed superiority is the calling card of a bigot.

Am I branding Nassar with this nefarious label? Absolutely not, but I am simply pointing out that the logic that Nassar uses to rationalize his style editorials is also regularly employed by the type of people he rebukes in his Mill editorial. As I said before, Nassar might be onto something, but his past track record of closed-mindedness causes his argument to ring hollow for this reader.

Sincerely,

Alex Lurie '09

To the Editor:

I am writing as a concerned parent regarding the recent situation with Laurie Essig. I do not know Laurie personally, but my son ('09.5) recently completed her course on Gender Studies and was deeply disappointed to learn that she would not be returning to Middlebury. He had raved about her course throughout the semester and shares the views of so many of her students that her departure represents a huge loss. Not only does she fulfill a critical need as a role model and supporter to the GLBT community - she is an excellent educator who engages her students and encourages them to be creative, open minded learners. While my son is "straight," I think it is very important for him to learn from people who encourage tolerance and help to break down barriers which are so destructive in our society. What is more important for college students to learn?

In addition to the sadness associated with Laurie's imminent departure, I share the concerns of many of the students and faculty (as expressed in your recent article) around the process of her review and the suggestion that her choice to speak out about aspects of the administration that she challenged or disagreed with might have contributed to her dismissal. This is a very discouraging revelation about Middlebury politics. If an academic institution of this caliber cannot allow healthy dissent and the self-reflection that might ensue, something is, in my opinion, very wrong. I want my son and his peers to be critical thinkers and to challenge the organizations they find themselves working in. I believe this is how communities, institutions, organizations, etc. grow and improve.

I hope that the considerable reaction to Ms. Essig's situation has prompted President Liebowitz and the committee to reconsider their position. There is clearly a groundswell of support for this professor and a great opportunity for the community to test itself and demonstrate a willingness to listen. If the administration is not willing to reverse its decision, I believe there are a lot of students and faculty who deserve a better understanding of the decision making process.

Sincerely,

Anne Romney

Acton, Mass.

To the Editor:

It is the middle of J-term, and many Middlebury students may already be looking forward to February Break plans that involve skiing deep powder, relaxing on the beach or visiting friends. While these pursuits are certainly appealing, a group of 32 ambitious students have decided to dedicate their February breaks to activities of a different variety. These students are participating in Middlebury Alternative Break (MAlt), a student organization dedicated to facilitating student-led service trips that inspire participants to engage in long-term community engagement. This year's MAlt trips will perform trail maintenance in Zion National Park, Utah, work on an organic farm in Guadalajara, Mexico and participate in community development projects in Ciudad Romero, El Salvador. MAlt participants hope to contribute to positive change in these communities, while simultaneously learning as much as they can from the people they encounter.

MAlt is committed to ensuring that financial need does not inhibit any student from participating in its service trips, so MAlt participants not only devote their breaks to service, but they work hard for months before the trips occur to raise funds necessary to make the trips happen. I would like to recognize the hard work and dedication of these students, and to thank the Middlebury College community for its support of their efforts.

Sincerely,

Christy Martenson '08

Co-chair, Middlebury Alternative Break

To the Editor:

Greetings from Omaha, Neb. and Council Bluffs, Iowa! Like the flower-power corner of Haight-Ashbury street in San Francisco in the 1960s, will there be someplace in Vermont that becomes famous for the new state's rights movement? Please?

Nebraska's electoral college vote in the November presidential election is not "winner take all." The movement is convincing Omaha to back a third party or a fourth party to start a "domino effect." Vermont does have a national reputation. We are under the assumption that Vermont is the number one place in the nation where people stand up for their state's rights. We really think that old independent Vermont will show the world and not back a Democrat or a Republican for president, but someone who has the best ideas. We love you for it. We like the idea of a presidential election going into the Congress and giving Nebraska and Vermont the same voting power as Florida, New York and California. Please help us, Vermont! Please help the whole country. Let's create a wide-open, free-for-all election. This way it will come down to issues, not popularity or media hype.

Sincerely,

William DePort

Omaha, Neb.