Saturday, May 4, 2024

SPECS Panther Column #5: Our Reading List

SPECS Panther is a mascot for SPECS (sex-positive education for college students) and serves the Middlebury community. As a part of Health & Wellness Education, SPECS Panther seeks to educate and spark independent dialogue, not be the end-all be-all resource on campus. We encourage Midd kids to break down the walls of silence by engaging in sex-positive conversation — wherever, with whomever, and about whatever is most comfortable, easy, and safe for you. Our editions will be fun and educational!

SPECS Panther is a mascot for SPECS (sex-positive education for college students) and serves the Middlebury community. As a part of Health & Wellness Education, SPECS Panther seeks to educate and spark independent dialogue, not be the end-all-be-all resource on campus. We encourage Midd kids to break down the walls of silence by engaging in sex-positive conversation — wherever, with whomever, and about whatever is most comfortable, easy and safe for you. Our editions will be fun and educational!

SPECS Panther is back and better than ever, this time providing you with a short and sweet reading list. From self-pleasure and communication to gender politics and activism, the following collection of books covers a wide range of pressing and relevant topics that structure our lives. 

“Come Together: The Science (and Art!) of Creating Lasting Sexual Connections” by Emily Nagoski

Written by one of SPECS’ favorite educators, Emily Nagoski, “Come Together” explores the science behind creating lasting sexual connections. By highlighting communication, breaking down “gendered” beliefs about pleasure and asking tough questions, Nagoski challenges misunderstood topics about sex in long-term, monogamous relationships. Interested in other things by Nagoski? Check out “Come As You Are,” where she explores the modern economy of pleasure and provides information regarding vulvas and responses to stimuli. Or check out “Burnout,” which dives into the stress cycle and how to get out of it. 

“Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving” by Betty Dodson

“Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving,” explores the taboo world of masturbation. While including masturbation tips and tricks, the book focuses on how it is a form of self-love and can allow one to get to know themselves (and what they like) better. Dodson provides practical advice, techniques and anecdotes to aid readers on their journey of self-discovery and self-pleasure. 

“Pleasure Activism” by Adrienne Maree Brown

Aiming to challenge the way we view activism, brown investigates how pleasure can be directly related to activism as well as revolutionizing the way the world views advocacy. This collection of essays draws from other revolutionary Black feminists such as Audre Lorde and Sonya Renee Taylor in order to provide a well-rounded, yet deeply nuanced approach to the politics of self-pleasure and self-love. From climate change to gender politics, Brown constructs new narratives about pressing socio-political matters to help readers build a better understanding of themselves and their relationship to personal pleasure.

“The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love” by Sonya Renee Taylor

Through a radical self-love approach, Taylor works to dismantle the harsh narratives surrounding bodies, true self-love and pleasure. Taylor believes that inequity, oppression and injustice are manifestations of our inability to make peace with our bodies. Thus, she urges individuals to take personal action and embrace radical self-love, which extends to the community through radical human love and interpersonal connection. 

“The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability” by Miriam Kaufman, Cory Silverberg and Fran Odette

Written by a doctor, a sex educator and a disability activist, “The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability” aims to address how to navigate sex with varying types of disabilities. The authors cover both breadth and depth, going into various chronic pain symptoms and physical disabilities, providing information regarding pain management, communication and masturbation tips, and scientific analysis of stress mitigation and pleasure.

“How to Understand Your Gender” by Alex Iantaffi and Meg-John Barker

This book explores gender diversity in all its forms. Looking through the lenses of sociology, biology, and history, “How to Understand Your Gender” is a casual yet informative guide that discusses gender diversity and how gender and sexuality interact with our daily lives. Iantaffi and Barker describe ways people can express their gender, explore identities and understand those whose gender identification may be different from their own.