What is political?

Author: AUSTEN LEVIHN-COON '07

What is the problem with being politically vocal? In the last couple years I have heard of individuals, academic institutions and non-profits being condemned for their adoption of "political issues." There are a huge number of groups attempting to censor groups on these "political issues" ranging from religion, to the "liberal media," "liberal professors," and political correctness. I have heard these same groups then claim when questioned that they can't be involved in activities with "political agendas," because of these exact efforts to censure their opinions. Recently, I was told that by promoting awareness about the effects of climate change, I was apparently looking to spread political ideology and possibly take someone's first born child. But is that wrong? Maybe the first-born child part, but really. What does it mean to be political? What does it mean when it becomes wrong to voice your opinion?

Does being political involve raising controversial issues? Is there maybe something in the democratic process about discussing differences? And what about that whole citizen participation thing? Protests? Boycotts? You shouldn't protest, boycott or go against the authorities? That is unpatriotic, undemocratic. That is anti-political… isn't it? NO. That is political! Dispute and dialogue is what our country was founded upon. And it is time that people stood up and represented their values in words and actions.

Several weeks ago I laughed at an article in The Middlebury Campus detailing how uninspiring the "activist community" at Middlebury College is [Apathy or Activism?: Inside Midd Politics, March 30]. It detailed how Middlebury students are apathetic and generally uninvolved. But I'll share a little secret with you now, don't tell anyone, the activist community on campus doesn't hide out under the banners of College Democrats and College Republicans. Do you know why? Because the activists on campus realize that political engagement is a little more than just the name of a political party and voting in national elections every two to four years. The activists are planning symposiums on women's rights and Afghanistan. The activists are meeting with the trustees to discuss the College's investments. The activists on this campus are biking 40 miles in the rain in support of reducing our oil dependency. The activists on campus are engaging our community because they believe, although some people would claim it is a well kept secret, and others may even want to keep it that way, that a healthy community is a politically engaged community. They believe that politics is not about George Bush or John Kerry, but about dialogue, confrontation and making good, well-founded and debated decisions.

Do you want to know something else about activists and organizers? Activists abhor the word "apathy." Do you know why? Because it means they are bad activists, that they have failed to educate others and inspire the masses to take action. However, while activists are an important part of our society, shouldn't be solely their responsibility to inspire people in a republic.

In a democracy, citizens participate on their own. In a democracy, individuals voice their thoughts. In a democracy citizens stand up for their values. And in a democracy dialogue is politics.

Are you political? Do you take action when you are outraged? Do you help to shape your own community when you see something you want changed, when you complain about it? Because if you do not, your rights, your precious democratic rights, will be taken away from you. It is happening on a national level. It is even happening right here at Middlebury. From wire-tapping to lockdown, our uninvolved community is failing to act.

When we cease to be an informed citizenry, when we no longer participate in our community, then democracy has failed, community has died and our freedoms will continue to disappear. So the next time you hear the word apathy directed your way, think about what it really means. Think about what you don't know. Think about why you are not acting and who is benefiting from your inaction. And then stand up and do something about it. Talk to your friends. Ask questions. Organize a campaign.

Don't be afraid to be outraged; you ought to be. We're on lock-down now, in case you have forgotten, and it's not because we have a strong, friendly community. Friendship and familiarity fight both fear and crime better than any lockdown or terrorist color-code ever will. Every person has the power to speak out, to influence our community. Political engagement and participation are the keys to dialogue and a healthy community. And I'll tell you one last secret, a little something that those in with the power realize and you may not: Anything is legal if you make it legal, and the power truly rests in the people. But only if they know it does.