Editorials Rushed move-out jeopardizes last Midd impressions

Pushing the most recent Middlebury graduates off campus mere hours after their commencement ceremony is an inauspicious way for young alumni to begin a relationship with their alma mater. The time limit is logistically problematic for graduates traveling cross-country, often burdened with items accumulated over the course of four years and a string of extended family members in toe.

While scheduling difficulties stemming from the reunion week start date and the constraints placed on the College's custodial staff are significant roadblocks to a delayed move-out date, the issue should be given more attention than it has thus far.

Last May, a graduating Community Council member proposed postponing the move-out date until 5 p.m. on the Monday following graduation. The proposal was determined to be infeasible, and the check-out time was in fact moved up from 10 a.mMonday to 11 p.m. Sunday night in order to accommodate a revised Reunion week schedule.

At Tuesday's Community Council meeting, several students claimed to have friends who were unable to meet last year's check-out date.

Although many colleges, including all the NESCAC schools, admittedly share Middlebury's rushed move-out date, some schools seem to have developed a more accommodating schedule, and Middlebury's remote location certainly warrants additional time for students to coordinate their relocation.

Duke University recently scaled back move-out dates for students from a week following final exams, but students still have two full days to pack up and move out.

Encouraging seniors to be efficient and thorough while moving out of Middlebury is a definite must, but giving them an extra day would most likely assist this transition, and ease the pressure on the custodial staff.

Perhaps the College's calendar should even be reevaluated to allow for a more relaxed transition. After all, students who leave Middlebury with a bad taste in their mouths are less likely to return for Reunion week.

Senate sensibilities

A total of 15senators, representing the four classes and five commons, have now joined the Student Government Association (SGA). Now is the time for the SGA to assert its place on campus and its role in College life.

Some campaign phrases from the winning senate seats, such as those that have promised to "make our class a well-represented machine that lives at peace with the squirrels and moose of Middlebury" or place peep holes in all dorm rooms to prevent surprise parental visits, do not set an appropriate tone for a governing body intending to be taken seriously.

Still, the campaign folly can be overcome if the SGA chooses to get its act together early. Senators should stick to issues they know they can address and avoid pipe-dream promises. Providing fall break shuttle services to major New England cities was a step in the right direction.