Editorial Election

Author: Editorial Board

Saper for SGA President

We have heard a lot of tired ideas about how to liven-up the College's on-campus social life. But Dan Saper has a new plan, and we think this one is actually good. Co-hosted social house parties - Saper mentioned Tavern and ADP as a possible pair - might just get us all together having a good time some Saturday soon.

It's this kind of creativity - and familiarity with what matters most to Middlebury students - that earns Dan Saper the endorsement of The Middlebury Campus editorial board for the position of Student Government Association (SGA) president.

Saper looks poised to be a strong crusader for student interests, and his polished presentation skills suggest he'll convey the student voice to College administrators in a compelling way. Middlebury students need an SGA president who is in touch with their concerns and Saper's broad base of campus knowledge assures us that he knows where we are coming from.

His pledge to use surveys and petitions to capture popular student opinion and submit those opinions to the College's decision-makers impressed us even more. On the other hand, Saper seems well prepared to understand how the administrative viewpoint might best match up with student desires. Saper's knowledge of student interest would provide a fitting balance to the administrative know-how of J.S. Woodward, who we hope to see serve in the SGA's number-two job alongside Saper.

While many candidates have pledged to support environmental programs, Saper's thoughtful support of the Mini-Grant program and interest in investing the College's endowment in sustainable corporations makes him stand out as the greenest candidate.

Saper's current experience as an SGA senator gives him a strong foundation in student government and, with a bill to push for the expansion of the College's wireless Internet network currently in the works, Saper has us ready for more.

Woodward for SCCOCC

J.S. Woodward may have won his current spot as Student Co-Chair of Community Council (SCCOCC) in an uncontested election last spring, but his track record in the position since then earns him the unanimous endorsement of The Middlebury Campus editorial board in this year's race.

Decrying the lack of student input into the recent considerations about the acquisition Monterey Institute for International Studies and poor student representation on the Planning Committee for Middlebury's Future, Woodward impressed us with his initiative to include more student input in major Middlebury College decisions.

While we recognize Woodward's excellent work on the Community Council, he will have to ensure that his insider status in the coming year does not prevent him from putting student opinion first while serving on the College's chief policy-making body. As SCCOCC, Woodward should remember that he is students' biggest advocate in the decision-making process, and we count on him to convey our sentiments.

The editorial board is still in awe of the hours Woodward spends pouring over the College Handbook (we initially thought he was kidding) and his pledge to go through the Handbook with a fine tooth comb reminds us of the steadfast commitment and effort he has already demonstrated as SCCOCC all year long. We applaud Woodward's accomplishments and look forward to what will come.