Nikko - king of the treadmill You've seen his crazy antics at the gym - now see what he has to say about them

Author: Lisie Mehlman

Nikko Arger '07 is somewhat of a legend to gym-goers and it is high time that the rest of the Middlebury community get to know him. Nikko's known for his...umm...energized treadmill running. It is inspirational to see him whipping out intensely crazy dance moves while sprinting as fast as the machine will go. The Middlebury Campus caught up with Nikko to learn more about this famed Midd-kid.

The Middlebury Campus: So, let's hear about your famed gym behavior.
Nikko Arger: Well, I love running, plain and simple. When I am at at home in Nevada it is a different climate, especially in the summer, so I run outside as much as I can. Here in Middlebury, most of the year it is too cold, and when it is not too cold, it is too humid for me to run outside. So I run on the treadmill. I admit that the treadmill can get pretty boring, but the key for me is the music. I really get into what I am listening to - it makes the time go by so much quicker, it can get me very pumped up, and it's so much fun. The music keeps me going and at the same time, I keep going so I can listen to the music.

The Campus: Why do you dance around?
Arger: I guess I dance around because it helps pass the time and I get into my workout so much more. It helps get and keep my adrenaline and endorphins up and I love it. Plus, it's sort of a good way to burn those extra few calories, and of course, it is so much fun to just cut loose.

The Campus: What ever are you listening to on your iPod that gets you so pumped up? What is your favorite music to run to?
Arger: Well, first of all, I don't have an iPod, I have an MP3 CD player with all my running music on it. I usually run to the same stuff on my different distance days, but I do like to mix it up as well. I listen to everything from Britney Spears to Papa Roach to Beyonce to Pearl Jam. Whatever has a good beat and gets me excited. I think my workout faves are ATC's "Around the World," Britney Spears' "Crazy Remix," Papa Roach's "Getting Away with Murder" and of course Jennifer Saunders' "I Need a Hero."

The Campus: Do people stare? If they do, do you mind?
Arger: I guess people stare, my friends tell me all the time that they see me in the gym going crazy on the treadmill. My friend even did a film project on it, and I was really honored. I don't mind it at all, whatever someone wants to do to get their energy up is fine with me. I think most people are more focused on their own workouts anyway so they aren't distracted by what I am doing. Although, the TVs are right above me, so I guess they are looking in my direction anyway.

The Campus: How fast and how far do you run on that treadmill?
Arger: Well I usually run between 8.5 and 9.5 mph, so faster than a 7-minute mile. I start off slower and just gradually increase the speed. By the end I am up to 9.5 mph, or about a 6-minute mile. I have a very regular program. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I run 8 miles and on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, I run 5 miles and on Sunday I run 6. I know it is not good to run everyday, but I am sort of addicted to it, so I try to go everyday and I am pretty good about it.

The Campus: Are there other components to your work out routine? Were you an athlete in high school or anything?
Arger: I only run nowadays. I played football, lacrosse and ran track in high school and I used to lift weights as well as run, but at the end of my senior year I developed a bone cyst and since then I have had two wrist surgeries and currently have a type of bone cement in my wrist so I can't really lift anymore. I do miss the team sports I used to play, but I love running and am happy I am able to do that. My wrist is not so bad that I can't lift at all - I could do some low-weight, high-rep training, but I only have so much time I can be in the gym everyday, and when it comes down to it, I would rather spend that time running.

The Campus: Where do you live on campus? How do you feel about the hike to the gym?
Arger: I live in Gifford and I love it. The trek to the gym is not bad at all. It is nice to have the gym on another part of campus because it really is a break from studying and everything else - when you go there, all you really have to focus on is working out.

The Campus: What is your favorite thing to do on a Friday night at Midd?
Arger: My usual Friday evening starts after class when I go to the gym for my run. Then I eat dinner and go into town to the art studio at Frog Hollow and work on my clay sculpture stuff - it is a nice, relaxing escape and I really love doing clay hand-building. Then I go back to my dorm and visit with friends or watch a movie or read.

The Campus: What's your favorite dining hall meal?
Arger: Well, I eat at Ross, and my typical meal is a salad with lots of greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I guess after a long run, you really just want to eat something healthy instead of something greasy or too hard to digest. That said, I love Chicken Parmesan (who doesn't?) and I really love when they have focaccia with pesto sauce.

The Campus: What is your favorite TV show?
Arger: My favorite TV shows are "Sex and the City" and "Absolutely Fabulous" - they are incredibly witty and just entertaining to watch.

The Campus: What is your motto to live by?
Arger: We only get one body, so might as well take care of it. Also, try to get as much out of college as you can.