Don't let Middlebury lose its soul New buildings on campus lack College feeling

Author: David Murphy Haglund '06

Today I visited the new Atwater dormitories for the first time. These buildings were just being wrapped up when I left to study abroad last spring, and the hype surrounding them was at its height. Many of my classmates were scrambling to get into Atwater Commons - some who were already in had accepted doubles in Coffrin, patiently and hopefully expecting the future golden payoff. With these memories coming back to me, I expected to be delighted. My disappointment could not have been greater.

What I found were dead, industrial staircases - dirty, oppressively lit and devoid of any humanity. The suites struck me by their tall, awkward rooms, uncarpeted and unimproved cement floor, huge bleak white walls, and sterile fluorescent lighting. Frankly, I felt like I had entered a minimum security prison. What could be worse, I thought, than living here my senior year?

The point of this essay is not merely to trash the new Atwater dorms - I understand I may not speak for a majority of students in my hatred for it. What I hope to do is point out a disturbing trend in the architecture of almost all the new, obscenely expensive and over-hyped buildings on our beautiful old campus.

This trend, as I see it, is one in which those intangible elements of character, individuality and soul - those characteristics that make us truly love a building, rather than merely appreciate it for its conveniences; those characteristics that make a building human - are rapidly being made extinct.

I can't say I know when it started - perhaps as far back as the New Dorm construction in the 70s, with its prison-inspired hallways and wanton hijacking of a breathtaking view of the Adirondacks. Certainly the trend was visible in the Social Houses, which are more or less devoid of any unique characteristics. But at least they are carpeted! LaForce, on the other hand, brings us to the level of post-industrial sterility: empty white walls and depressing concrete stairwells. Ross and Atwater dining, the much-publicized future of eating here at Midd, are just plain stressful environments during supper time: loud (Atwater is especially bad), oppressively lit and frankly nauseating at times. Relaxation is impossible. On a busy night your entire environment is in constant motion.

Finally, there is the new library itself. Studying here is a real challenge - the broad open areas are crammed with people walking by, socializing or talking on their phones. The huge lobby propagates sound deep into the stacks and lastly, the décor is of the same generic, sterile style popping up everywhere else on campus. Where is the character? Where is the shag carpeted loft, where one could have squatted a whole year without being discovered? Where are the quiet, secluded little corners?

What makes Middlebury so precious - to me at least - are the little things: the natural beauty of the outdoors, the open environment (also on the chopping bloc) and the buildings in harmony with each other and themselves. The current pattern of construction is destroying much of this. Future buildings must not be considered merely on their impressive, state-of-the-art technological design and their myriad of conveniences for students - they should have character! They should be welcoming, warm and human! I therefore implore the president and trustees, the faculty, the staff, and the students of Middlebury College - don't let our home lose its soul!