Town Votes....DOJ investigation...

Author: Megan Price

Think Twice!

I am writing to urge Town Meeting Day voters statewide to think twice before raising their property taxes to support the VNA/home health agency ballots statewide. There are 12 of these non-competing, not-for-profit multimillion dollar businesses in our state. All are under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for anti-competitive activities.

My bet is that a big share of the more than $1 million these monopoly agencies are counting on from Town Meeting Day voters across the state to donate to them, will go to pay expensive lawyers and lobbyists in Montpelier and Washington, D.C. to attempt to keep the DOJ at bay.

Read your home health or VNA ballot item carefully, folks. It asks for thousands of dollars "in support of" your local VNA/home health agency. Your "yes" vote is a blank check to the CEOs of these agencies. They can spend your money any way they like - including raising their own salaries. Did you know that two of the 12 CEOs of these not-for-profit agencies are paid more than $150,000 each annually?

Demand a sworn statement from your local VNA/home health agency as to exactly how much care, at what cost per hour, your 2003 and 2004 Town Meeting Day donations purchased above and beyond that already paid through public or private insurance for individuals living in your town. If the dollars don't add up, ask how the rest of your donation was spent - and will be in 2005.

Megan Price
PO Box 651
Shelburne, VT 05482