Sunday, May 19, 2024

Tide Rising for Women's Tennis

Author: Andreas Apostolatos

After having not lost a single set in its first two meets of the season, The Middlebury Women's Tennis team continued its convincing success with a 9-0 triumph over Wesleyan on Sept. 27, before losing to Tufts by 5-4 the following day. Despite breaking into the loss column, the Panthers were pleased with their effort against Tufts, which points to a staggering improvement from last season.

"It was a heartbreaker," commented team captain Jena Siegel '04, who is playing in her final year in a Panther uniform. "[Tufts] beat us 9-0 last year, and we were so close to getting them back. It came right down to the wire, with many of the matches going three sets. We fought hard and played to win, but unfortunately couldn't come up with it this time around."

Middlebury's development from a year ago was also clear in the team's dismantling of Wesleyan. A season ago, it was average league opponents like Wesleyan that produced considerable tests for the Panthers, but their ability to handle such opponents this year points to the increased firepower on the 2003 roster.

Some of this newfound strength can be attributed to an extremely talented first-year group of players. Four of Middlebury's six singles matches against Wesleyan featured rookie athletes, led by Jackie Ross '07, who cruised against her top singles opponent by 6-1, 6-3, and Amy Roche '07, who won number two singles 6-4, 6-0. The Panthers did not drop one set in any of the six singles matches, with Sandy Spring '05, Claire Smyser '07, Lauren Ready '05 and Emily Holick '07 each winning the third, fourth, fifth and sixth spots, respectively.

"The match on Saturday was a big win for us because we only beat [Wesleyan] 5-4 last year," commented Siegel, who triumphed by 8-4 with Roche in the number two doubles contest. "Their team this year is very similar to last year, so it shows clear improvement for us."

Middlebury (3-1) will have perhaps have its best test of where it stands in the NESCAC this Thursday, when it hosts Williams. The Ephs have been a league powerhouse in recent years, and managed to shutout the Panthers 9-0 in their one meeting last season. If Middlebury can contend, or possibly even win on Thursday, it will mark a clear step into the premier group of NESCAC tennis programs.

"We are really excited to play Williams," remarked Siegel. "They have always been up at the top of the NESCAC, and we hope to prove that we belong in that echelon this year."