Friday, May 3, 2024

Offense Drives Consecutive Victories for Roundball Men

Author: Matt Ross

After faltering in their first game this season, the Middlebury men's basketball team is back where it expects to be all season: well above .500. The off-season workouts and new style of play have provided immediate dividends in the form of a 2-1 record. Led by captain Eric Bundonis '03 with 18 points a game, the team is averaging 90 points a game, 19 points ahead of last year's average, and 11 points ahead of their average against those teams. The Panthers are one buzzer-beater from a perfect season.
Middlebury stumbled in the opener against Southern Vermont, losing 87-84 in a nail biter. Middlebury let the game slip away in the first half, giving up a 10-point run to put Southern ahead 28-17, and shooting only 33 percent from the field and 11 percent from behind the arc.
The game looked like it might turn around in the second half as Nate Anderson '04 and Bundonis worked their way to 20 and 22 points, leading an 11-2 run that cut the Southern lead to one. But it proved to be too little too late when the team failed to get off a shot in the final two seconds of the game.
The Panthers wasted no time venting their frustration on St. Joseph's of Vermont, never letting the Mountaineers in the game and winning 102-61. Once again the first half decided the game as Middlebury took a commanding 54-22 lead, holding St. Joseph's to just 20 percent shooting from the field, and knocking down 62 percent of their own buckets. Mike Salek '04 proved to be the offensive star, scoring 17 points and hitting three of his five three-point attempts.
Middlebury put the mediocrity of a 1-1 record behind them in their next game against Skidmore winning 84-70. The Panthers came out flat in the first half, shooting only 26 percent from the field as a team and missing all nine three-point attempts on offense and allowing an 18-1 run at the 11:18 mark leaving them behind 41-35 at the break after having led by as much as 10.
The second half started just as poorly with the Skidmore lead growing to 13, but the Panthers outscored the Thoroughbreds 35-8 in the final 14 minutes for an easy win. Bundonis again led the team with 22 points while Adam Sinoway '05 came off the bench to record 16 points and seven rebounds, shooting 4-5 from behind the arc.
With games at Castleton and Hamilton this week, as well as the Norwich Tournament, the Panthers are looking to head into winter break well above the 4-4 mark they reached at the same time last year. If the offense stays strong, their prospects look good.