Sunday, May 5, 2024

Panthers Peter Out on Final Drives Against Amherst

Author: Neil Onsdorff

Middlebury has a very good football team — but Middlebury does not have a football team with a very good record. This weekend, in front of a packed Alumni Stadium full of rowdy fans and parents, the Panthers suffered their second heartbreaking loss of the season, this time to Amherst.
This match-up featured a stellar Amherst offense, against an extremely ruthless Middlebury defense, resulting in a season-low 17 points for Amherst. Unfortunately for the Panthers, their offense was only able to muster a season-low 10 points.
As the game started, it looked as if the Panthers were going to score points in bunches. On the first play of the game, Middlebury's running back William Lazzaro '03 jaunted 55 yards to the end zone. He did so behind some vicious blocks carried out by fullback Christopher Davis '03 and an offensive line anchored by Lion Carter '05 and Andrew Angoff '03. This was just a prelude of what the ground attack was capable of. Middlebury had close to 200 total yards and Lazzaro finished the day with over 150 yards for the second straight week.
With Middlebury leading the game by seven points, the remainder of the first quarter saw little action from either team as both sides were partaking in a battle for field position. As the quarter came to a close, Amherst was able to get on the scoreboard with a long field goal, which left the score at Middlebury 7, Amherst 3.
As the second quarter began, so did a connection between Middlebury quarterback Michael Keenan '05 and wide out Denver Smith '03. On Middlebury's first drive of the second quarter, the two combined for three completions for a total of 54 yards, which brought the Panthers deep into Amherst territory. But a red zone penalty, which clung to the Panthers all day like a suspicious rash, moved the offense back. On fourth and long, Middlebury brought in place-kicker Michael Frissora '03 for a long field goal. The field goal was blocked and the momentum shifted to the Lord Jeffs.
Two drives later, Amherst, frustrated by its inability to gain any yards on the ground, was able to score through the air on a bubble, or short wide out screen, in turn tying the game at 10.
"All week we worked on stopping their running game," said defense tackle James Galuchie '05. "But since we were shutting down their best rusher, [who had been averaging over 180 yards per game] Amherst had to go to the aerial attack. Unfortunately some mistakes we made in defending the passing game hurt us in the end."
With the score tied at 10, Middlebury looked to take the lead as it marched into Amherst territory. But, as a fourth down pass play slipped through the fingers of a Middlebury receiver, many in the crowd could feel a sense of dread as the Amherst offense appeared once again on the field.
On Amherst's very first play of the ensuing drive, defensive end Phil Reiff '05 picked off a clueless Amherst quarterback on a well-timed and crafty zone-blitz. Sensing a golden opportunity to take the lead, Middlebury found itself on the Amherst 19-yard line poised to strike for six points.
But to the dismay of Middlebury fans, another deadly penalty moved the offense back and left it with a must-pass situation for a first down. With Amherst anticipating a Middlebury pass, it had a well-called defense in place, which rendered a defender perfectly positioned to intercept a slightly tipped ball, crushing any chance of scoring.
Using the pass to its advantage, Amherst moved down the field for the go-ahead score. "I thought our whole team played really well, but we weren't able to capitalize on the chances we needed to beat a good football team like Amherst," said defensive back Ernie Miller '03. "We had big offense plays and defensive turnovers that put us in position, but we couldn't finish on either side of the ball."
The fourth quarter was a true testament to Middlebury's inability to finish. With Middlebury looking to even the score, a fumble on the Amherst 13-yard line ended one drive. On the next Middlebury opportunity, punt returner Smith, using some smooth and sleek moves, brought Middlebury to the Amherst 13-yard line. Once again, a penalty for blocking in the back killed the great return and, in essence, the drive as well. Finally, on a Panther fourth down and 17, a 20-yard pass was negated for holding and Middlebury was unable to get a new set of downs. The game ended with Amherst celebrating in victory as their quarterback took the final snap and harmlessly took a knee.
In reflecting on the loss, Coach Ritter said, "It was a difficult loss for us to take on Saturday. Coming off the field and looking into the eyes of our players I could tell that they had left every emotion they had on the field that afternoon. Frustration is the best word to describe the emotions of being a 1-2 football team that could definitely be 3-0. That said, I am incredibly proud of our players dedication, and the sacrifice every one of them makes to our program."
This weekend the Panthers travel to Williamstown, Mass., to take on perennial powerhouse and loathed Williams College Ephs.