Women's Tennis Serves Up Balanced Attack

Author: Jeremy Shakun

The women's tennis team is out in full force every afternoon on the Proctor tennis courts getting ready for the upcoming season. No doubt a difficult road lies ahead for the Panthers. Coach Nate Simms noted, "the quality of tennis in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) has skyrocketed over the past few years and this year should continue that trend." Jena Siegel '04 expressed the same view: "We have a challenging schedule that will be difficult … and our opponents are all returning with strong lineups this season." Simms would not guarantee that this season will end in a national title, but he seems optimistic about the team this season and its ability to play some quality tennis.
"We are looking to improve on our number-22 national ranking from last year and make the NCAA tournament in the spring," which the team just missed last spring, continued Simms.
The team lost few members from last year's squad; said Siegel, "this is the first time in a few seasons that the team has so many returning members that have played many consecutive seasons."
One notable exception is the team's number-one singles player, Sandy Spring '04, who is spending the semester in Australia. This will force everyone to play up one spot, but the women seem up to the challenge. The team also has a strong returning senior in Ariella Neville, as well as three new first-years who look to make strong contributions to the team. Look for Lauren Ready '04 and Kristin Baker '04 to be strong in singles, and Libby Meyers '04 with Siegel to be Midd's top doubles team.
Ready said, "The team is very even from 1-11, which makes for good practices." She added that most members of the team will be playing in the matches because some can best help out the team in doubles or singles, and so "it really will be a team effort." The entire team has been putting in the required effort since last season ended, playing in tournaments over the summer as well as drilling individually with hitting partners.
The Panthers also traveled to Hilton Head, S.C., last spring where they went undefeated. Siegel stated that the team has worked hard improving its mental toughness, and will continue to work at making it the strongest part of their games.
Most importantly, she noted, is that "we know the mental aspect can always be in our control."
The women's team begins its season next Wednesday, Sept. 18, at Skidmore.
The team will then host its first home game of the young season against Union College on Sept. 21.