Women's Tennis Faulty, Tourney Nears

Author: Els Van Woert

It is the home stretch for Middlebury women's tennis as the spring is well upon us, and with it, NESCAC playoff time. Middlebury will host the division tournament this upcoming weekend and have a go at a chance to compete in NCAAs.

This spring has brought many successes, learning experiences and enjoyment for the Panthers. The team has posted a 7-3 record, dropping two of the three losses this past week. The opposition of Wellesley and Wesleyan colleges was extremely strong and the most even and competitive opponents that the Lady Panthers have faced this year.

The week started out with a fairly breezy match against Mt. Holyoke on Wednesday and a far more strenuous and nerve-racking weekend at Wellesley. While the score versus the host was 2-6 with one unfinished match, the women fell just short in a disappointing neck-and-neck contest versus the Wesleyan Cardinals, with the foe taking the title 5-4. Both number one and two singles players Sandy Spring '04 and Lauren Ready '05 went into three-set matches where their tenacious, determined play was evident.

Libby Meyers, a sophomore whose steady play secured two of the four victorious Middlebury matches said of the Wesleyan match: "It was extremely tight. Although disappointing, we were behind each other the whole way through. While this past weekend impaired our shot at an NCAA bid, I feel that it also prepared us for the tougher teams coming for NESCACs, such as nationally ranked number one, Williams. We'll come ready and fighting." If Middlebury can upset the favorite Ephs this weekend, they will most certainly be on their way to nationals.

This Friday through Sunday will be the defining moment for the Lady Panthers, who will have to rise to the challenge to keep the season alive. No matter what the outcome, the manner will be as the team has always done it — with great skill, heart, support of one another and bull-dogged tenacity. All are encouraged to come and help the women ride this wave of a great season out as far as it goes.

As team manager Julia West Herwood '04 noted: "The girls have enjoyed their success and lessons learned, the game and one another so thoroughly these past months. Of course I'll be the superfan out there this weekend, wanting the win as badly as any of them, but no matter the result, victory has already been had by these girls and this program."