Sophomore Sings with Symphony

Author: Richie Lawless

On Saturday evening, the Vermont Symphony Chorus, in conjunction with the Vermont Symphony Orchestra, gave a triumphant performance of Brahms' "Requiem." Among the 90 or so members of the chorus singing to a sold-out audience was Middlebury College's own Siddartha Rao '04.

The Dallas, Texas, native explained that he was first introduced to the chorus this fall by Cook Commons Coordinator Amy Knapp, who is an alto in the group. Knapp recommended that Rao, a tenor, audition for the chorus. Rao auditioned and secured himself a spot in the ensemble. He has since spent eight weekends rehearsing the 90-minute-long Brahms piece. The show was a special one because noted conductor Robert de Cormier simultaneously directed the Orchestra and the Chorus.

Rao was introduced to music at the age of four, when he began Indian vocal lessons. Several years later he began to play the piano, pursuing his study of the instrument through middle and high school. Rao mentioned that his family was quite influential in and supportive of his musical endeavors. One of his earliest influences was his grandmother, who was a semi-professional Indian classical vocalist.

In addition to the piano, he also took up the viola for a couple of years. In high school, Rao met one of his most influential mentors, a math teacher who also taught a music history course. The teacher's methodical approach to the teaching of music history was significant in heightening Rao's interest in the mathematical side of music.

Educated in both Eastern and Western styles of classical music, Rao gradually became more interested in composing. He has furthered his musical education at Middlebury by taking some of the Music Department's composition courses. He listed Associate Professor of Music Su Lian Tan as a major influence in his development of composition styles and techniques. Rao has written a multitude of pieces for instruments including violin, viola, piano, flute and timpani.

Last semester, Rao had his own world music show on Middlebury College's radio station WRMC, but had to give it up this semester because of a busy schedule. He continues to have a fervent interest in world music, listing such artists as Indian film composer A. R. Rehman, Pakistani rock band Junon and musician Simon Shaheen as current favorites.

When asked of any instruments that he was interested in learning, Rao answered that he had always been fascinated by percussion and would love to explore drums in the future. He has also taken an interest in jazz piano, and has a wide range of musical tastes.

Rao, an energetic math major, sees music as an important part of his future. He is attentive to the connections between mathematics and music and has incorporated this mentality into composing.

He plans to continue to compose here at the College and beyond and says that music will always be an integral and important part of his life.