State’s attorney Eva Vekos faces calls to resign under mounting scrutiny

Eva Vekos, the state’s attorney for Addison County, faces ongoing criticism and calls to resign from Vermont citizens, including ten of the 11 members of the Vermont legislature who represent Addison County. Vekos was charged with a DUI when she arrived at a crime scene intoxicated in January. The charge led to a suspension 0f her law license on March 27, according to the Addison Independent.

On April 1, a collective press release was issued from the lawmakers’ offices advocating for Vekos’ resignation from the state attorney’s office. 

The press release was signed by all nine state representatives in the county and one state senator, with Sen. Christopher Bray (D) being the one legislative member not signing on, according to the Addison Independent.

Legislators argued that Vekos’ conduct — both during and since her Jan. 25 arrest — demonstrated an unfitness for her position and betrayed the interests of Addison County constituents and citizens.

“Her unprofessional behavior at a crime scene and offensive comments about local law enforcement officers have significantly harmed the trust and respect between the residents of Addison County and their State’s Attorney. In addition, the Vermont Supreme Court’s temporary suspension of State’s Attorney Vekos’ law license makes it impossible for her to carry out the complete duties of her office, leaving Addison County without a fully functional county prosecutor’s office during a time when the criminal justice system in Vermont is already stressed,” legislators wrote in the press release. 

Prior to their public statement, the Addison Independent published an editorial on March 28, which objected to her continued occupancy of the state attorney’s office. 

Written by the Addison Independent’s editor and publisher Angelo Lynn, the editorial called for members of the Democratic Party in Addison County to advocate for Vekos’ resignation, opining that she is no longer the person the party elected into office in November 2022. 

“Addison County residents deserve a state’s attorney who exercises good judgment on such critical issues that affect our collective safety and sense of justice,” Lynn wrote. 

The editorial also highlighted Vekos’ reduced capacities as state attorney given the interim suspension of her law license, effective March 27. Vekos has been temporarily stripped of her law license by the Vermont Supreme Court. 

Since her original charges in January, Vekos has taken a three week medical leave, according to The Addison Independent. The legislators wrote in their press release they had “compassion” for medical issues, but emphasized that her failure to cooperate and unprofessional behavior has still caused significant harm to public trust in government.  

Citing her failure to appropriately respond to court inquiry about the effect of a DUI on her ability to practice law, the Vermont Supreme Court ruled that Vekos had not properly responded to a lawful demand for information made to her under Rule 8.1 of the Vermont Judiciary’s Vermont Rules of Professional Conduct. 

While Vekos’ license is currently suspended, it remains to be seen whether she will permanently lose her position as Addison County state’s attorney.

“Addison County deserves better. It is incumbent upon State’s Attorney Vekos to prioritize the safety of Addison County and the vital functions of the prosecutor’s office by resigning immediately,” the legislators wrote in their press release.

Cole Chaudhari

Cole Chaudhari ’26 (he/him) is a News Editor. 

He previously served as a Copy Editor and as a Staff Writer. Cole is double-majoring in History and English & American Literatures and is interning this semester at the New England Review.