Saturday, May 4, 2024

Meet the new Middlebury faculty this year

This fall, Middlebury welcomed ten new professors and six lecturers to its faculty.

New professors were hired in the departments of Black Studies, Chinese, Computer Science, Economics, French and Francophone studies, History of Art and Architecture, Music and Physics.

“It is a large and talented group of new faculty who will enrich our community in many, many ways,” Dean of the Faculty wrote Jim Ralph in an email to The Campus. “I am very excited to have welcomed them to Middlebury.”

The History of Art and Architecture Department welcomed Assistant Professor Marguerite Lenius. Lenius received her Bachelor of Arts degree in art history from Columbia University, and then earned a Masters of Arts and PhD in philosophy and art history from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. 

“From the congeniality, commitment to scholarly and pedagogical excellence and supportiveness of the staff, faculty and administration; to students’ curiosity, creativity and eagerness to learn, I cannot think of a better place to start my academic career,” Lenius said.

The Department of Music has added Assistant Professor of Music Danielle Simon to its faculty. Simon holds a PhD in musicology from the University of California Berkeley, a Master of Arts in humanities and humanistic studies from the University of Chicago and a BA in music and literature from the University of the Puget Sound. This semester, Simon is teaching courses on opera and media and on music in western cultures.

“I'm really excited I think to see how each of the students in the class brings their own perspective and creativity to bear on this practice of conceiving of and imagining what an opera staged and insert interesting and exciting ways might look like and sound like,” Simon said. 

The Physics department welcomed Assistant Professor of Physics McKinley Brumback, who has a PhD in physics and astronomy from Dartmouth College and a Bachelor of Arts in physics from Hamilton College. Brumback previously served as a research assistant at the University of Michigan and the California Institute of Technology. Outside of teaching, she researches neutron stars that form binary systems with normal stars. 

Professor Brumback is most looking forward to returning to teach in a small liberal arts college after teaching and conducting research previously at larger universities.

“I love sharing my passion for astronomy, and the class I am teaching this fall, Introduction to the Universe, is the perfect place to do that,” Brumback said.

The Black Studies department welcomed Associate Professor of Black Studies Jerry Philogene. Philogene has a PhD in American studies and a Master of Arts in visual arts administration and arts history from New York University, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in art history from New School University. Before coming to Middlebury, she was a professor in American studies at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa.

The Economics department has three new professors joining the ranks this year: Assistant Professors of Economics Alice Gindin and Zara Contractor are here this fall, and Germán Reyes will join them in the same role in January 2024. Ginden holds a PhD in economics from the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Arts in economics and Bachelor of Science in mathematics from the University of Rochester. Contractor has a PhD, Master of Arts, Master of Philosophy and Bachelor of Arts in economics from Yale University. Reyes is a behavioral economist who received his PhD from Cornell University and holds a Master of Arts and Bachelors of Arts from La Plata National University in Argentina.

“[Middlebury] has a fantastic community of researchers there,” Contractor told The Campus this past spring. “So that definitely was a big draw for me.” 

Assistant Professor of French and Francophone Studies Therese Banks joined the French department faculty this fall. Banks earned her PhD in Romance languages and literature from Harvard University and her Bachelor of Arts in English and French from Cornell University. Her primary focus is on representations of religious violence in medieval and early modern French literature.

The Computer Science department has two new professors this fall, Assistant Professors of Computer Science Philip Caplan and Laura Biester. Caplan earned his PhD and Master of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering from McGill University. Biester holds a PhD and Master of Science in computer science and engineering from the University of Michigan and a Bachelor of Arts in computer science from Carleton College. After a staffing shortage in the department last fall brought on by three junior professors leaving unexpectedly while five other professors were already on leave, the new additions are more than welcome.

The Chinese department has added Assistant Professor of Chinese Chialan Sharon Wang. Wang earned a PhD in comparative literature from the University of Southern California as well as a Master of Arts in English from National Taiwan Normal University. The main focus of her research is Chinese-language film and literature, postcolonial theories and cultural studies.

In addition to new professors, Middlebury welcomed six new lecturers, including a new global health lecturer, Richard Finklestein. Finklestein studied at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. 

Finkelstein may be new as a lecturer, but he is no stranger to Middlebury, as his daughter was a 2018 Middlebury graduate.

“My wife and I always loved attending Parents’ Weekend during her time here… We ate in the dining halls on campus and at Breadloaf and had chocolate milk there. In short, what brought me to Middlebury is the chocolate milk.” Finkelstein joked. This semester, he is teaching a course on the American healthcare system. 

The other new lecturers include Jason Dolatshahi, lecturer in economics, Mclean Macionis, professor of the practice in music, Ron Makleff, first year seminar lecturer, Sarika Sharma, first year seminar assistant teaching professor and Petrea Sweeny, professor of the practice in architectural studies. 

The new faculty members were also drawn to Middlebury by the rich outdoor opportunities in Vermont. Brumback said that she is excited to explore the nearby mountains and take in the fall foliage, a sentiment which Lenius shared.

“I am most excited about being surrounded by mountains, wildlife sightings and the dazzling starry night skies. I love living in a place where bald eagles and great blue herons fly over my car as I drive to campus,” Lenius said.

Editor’s Note: Senior News Editor Susanna Schatz contributed reporting.