Flipturn band rocks McCullough lawn

Anyone near McCullough lawn on Friday night undoubtedly heard echoes of Middlebury’s most recent fall concert. Students congregated to watch indie rock band Flipturn and opener Joseph Biss take the stage and deliver energetic, dynamic performances.

A large crowd of students showed up for the concert put on by WRMC, Middlebury College’s radio station, and the Middlebury College Activities Board, bringing infectious energy that lasted throughout the entire show. Many students were excited to start the year with a performance from such a well-known indie rock band, particularly after a series of rap concerts in the past couple of years.

Self-described “psychedelic folk” musician Joseph Biss kicked off the night by delivering a unique acoustic set. He began with mellow, earnest spoken word poetry, followed by a set of medieval-esque ballads, both of which were in stark contrast to the main act that followed. The crowd responded to Biss’s quirky lyrics and charismatic persona. 

Flipturn eventually took the stage just before 9 p.m., performing with an intensity rarely found on their mellow albums. What started as a group of teenagers in Jacksonville, Fla. in 2015 has grown to become a nationwide success. Last year, the band released their debut full-length album, “Shadowglow, which has received widespread praise and recognition. While Shadowglow is the first complete album that the group has released, they have been putting out singles and EPs since 2017. It was a treat to see them perform in a relatively small setting, as they will be playing multiple nights in large venues across the west coast during their upcoming tour.  

Frontman Dillon Basse and bassist Madeline Jarman spearheaded the band’s sensational stage presence. Basse’s smooth voice soared across McCullough lawn as he belted at the climax of almost every song, while Jarman jumped, headbanged and danced throughout the set. Guitarists Tristan Duncan and Mitch Fountain and drummer Devon Vonbalson didn’t miss a beat either, commanding attention even from the back of the stage.

The set opened with “The Fall,” a less popular track from “Shadowglow”. Throughout the song, the band seamlessly slid between quiet atmospheric sounds and intense beats with a dexterity that continued throughout the rest of their performance. One of their more popular songs, “Sad Disco,” featured a funky bassline and catchy melody that showcased Basse’s mesmerizing voice, proving to be another audience hit from “Shadowglow.” Flipturn’s newer songs highlighted soft harmonies between Jarman, Basse and Duncan, something that was not typically featured in their older music. Other highlights included the band’s top streamed songs: “Chicago” and “August,” the popularity of which were evident as the crowd sang along. “August” also featured a solo from nearly every musician, particularly highlighting Fountain’s keyboard skills. The band also  included in their setlist a cover of “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears. Flipturn frequently covers the 1985 hit at their live shows and recently released a version on streaming services. 

After the group appeared to end the show, the audience’s chants of “one more song” beckoned them back out on stage to perform a spectacular encore. Their final songs were the most jam-like of the night, giving each member a chance to show off their skills one last time. 

Flipturn is clearly no stranger to live performances; in fact, the band attributes their current success and the growth of their fan base to live shows near their hometown of Fernandina Beach, Fla. Flipturn’s ability to garner attention gradually, mainly through live performances and word-of-mouth recommendations, feels refreshing in a time when it often feels like algorithms and advertisers curate our music taste for us. Their vital sounds and lyrics capture a sense of relatability for their young audience that feels natural and unforced, which can be hard to find in newer indie groups.