Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

Radio Roundup for the week of October 23rd

Library Manager’s Pick – Kyle Hooker ’24

Album: Track Record by Joan Armatrading

Genre: Folk, Rock

RIYL: Ricki Lee Jones, Suzanne Vega, k.d. Lang

Blurb: Joan Armatrading’s unique style crosses several genres, from folk to jazz to blues, and it is complete with beautiful vocals and instrumental solos. There are several great tracks on this album, including “Love and Affection, “Down to Zero” and “Drop the Pilot.” 

Social Media Manager’s Pick – Georgia Perlah ’25

Album: Let Go by Nada Surf

Genre: Alt Rock

RIYL: Pavement, Built To Spill, Radiohead, The National

Blurb: Following their rise to fame with the 1996 song “Popular,” “Let Go” by Nada Surf is a quintessential alternative rock album with a few more mellow and melodic tracks. “Let Go” is much more lyrical than previous work. The tracks “Blonde on Blonde” and “Blizzard of ’77” are a few stand-outs. 

Co-Programming Director’s Pick – Dan Frazo ’23

Album: Calm Down by Ari Roar

Genre: Dream Pop

RIYL: Worn-Tin, Voxtrot, Old Built to Spill

Blurb: Texan singer-songwriter Ari Roar’s debut album is a charismatic blend of 1960s pop melodies and modern punk rhythms. Seeing Roar come into stride after a series of popular singles, the album features a number of confidently agitated tunes, the lyrics and instrumentals of which create an unnerving dissonance to the attentive listener (see “Don’t Have a Fit,” “Implode”). Despite the album’s short 28-min runtime (in 15 songs wow!), Roar finds a way to weave fun-loving dreamscape narratives into an otherwise emotionally challenging album.

Spring Music Director’s Pick – Grace Augspurger ’25

Album: Sweep It Into Space by Dinosaur Jr. 

Genre: Alternative Rock

RIYL: Nirvana, Pixies, The Smashing Pumpkins

Blurb: Dinosaur Jr.’s second album after their 2006 reunion has much less grunge and more pop-rock sound than their classics. As in the rest of their post-1997 albums, bassist Lou Barlow has two songs of his own, “The Garden” and “You Wonder,” which are my personal favorites. “Take It Back” has a wonderful, classic Dinosaur Jr. claymation music video. In general Dinosaur Jr.’s reunion has been received well by original fans, and is considered one of the most successful in alternative rock. Their sound is unique, melodic in a Black Sabbath kind of way and depressing in a Radiohead way, and this is maintained in their newer releases.

Co-Concert Director’s Pick – Luke Robins ’23

Album: Awakening by Hiroshi Sato

Genre: Jazz Fusion/Synth Pop

RIYL: Miki Matsubara, Anri, Mort Garson

Blurb: This groovy 1982 album from Hiroshi Sato walks the line between synth pop and jazz fusion. It opens with “Awakening,” a soft instrumental track with piano and spacey synth that clears the way and the mind for the catchy pop melodies which make up the rest of this album. “Say Goodbye” and “Can’t Wait” are two standouts that promise to be stuck in your head the rest of the day. 

Tech Director’s Pick – Jonah Landsman ’24

Album: The Jungle Is the Only Way Out by Mereba

Genre: R&B/Soul

RIYL: BENEE, Kali Uchis, 6LACK

Blurb: Mereba’s mostly self-produced 2019 studio debut remains an undisputed classic and regular member of my rotation. Led by precise synth, Mereba’s melancholy vocals make TJIOWO soothing and complex. Highlights include “Stay Tru,” “Planet U” and “Heatwave.”

GM’s Pick – Gennie Herron ’23

Album: Midnights by Taylor Swift

Genre: pop, good music

RIYL: Taylor Swift, Maggie Rogers 

Blurb: It’s a good one. I didn’t know what to expect with this album, but I have been really enjoying it. It’s fun, kind of sassy and very danceable with some lyrics that you have to listen to many times to tease out all the little bits. My favorites thus far, considering it came out on Friday, are “Lavender Haze,” “Anti-Hero,” “Midnight Rain” and “Karma.” Swift is incredibly prolific. She just cranks out material. Overall, I really like this album and yes, I think I have listened through it about five times.