WRMC Radio Roundup

General Manager’s Pick — Gennie Herron ’23

Album: “Surrender” — Maggie Rogers

Genre: Indie Pop, Rock, Alt

Recommended if you’d like (RIYL): Phoebe Bridgers, Del Water Gap, Joni Mitchell, Madison Cunningham

Blurb: This album came out in July 2022, and I have been rocking to it ever since. I love the rawness of the lyrics and the intense emotions that Rogers taps into for this album. My favorite tracks recently have been “Anywhere With You,” “Honey” and “Begging for Rain.” Before this album came out, I said it was going to break me down and then build me back up, and it has done just that.

Music Director’s Pick — Noah Hochfelder ’22.5

Album: “Blood Lemon” — Blood Lemon

Genre: Punk, Indie Rock, Riot Grrrl, Hardcore 

RIYL: Sleater-Kinney, Built to Spill, PJ Harvey, The Breeders

Blurb: I saw this band live when they opened for indie rock giants Built to Spill (with whom bass player/singer Melanie Radford also plays), and they completely ripped me open. For a three-piece band, Blood Lemon makes a ridiculous amount of noise — both musically and lyrically, combining sludgy, piercing riffs with cutting and empowering one-liners. Next time someone beats you to that booth you had your eye on in Proc, blast “Master Manipulator” or “Burned” at full volume through your headphones and rage on your merry way.

Programming Director’s Pick — Chad Kim ’23.5

Album: “Protean Threat” — Osees, Thee Oh Sees, Oh Sees

Genre: Neo-psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock, Noise

RIYL: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Hooveriii, Damaged Bug

Blurb: One of my favorite Oh Sees albums, “Protean Threat” explores the idea of apocalyptic optimism where genuine beauty and self expression thrives amid the rancor of a rancid world. With that being said, this album, like much of their hefty discography, sustains an intensity that endures the entire runtime and keeps you dialed in with each oncoming track. Listen to this in the sun. Listen to this in the rain. Listen to this in your brain.

Tech Director’s Pick — Jonah Landsman ’24

Album: souvenir— Jonah Yano

Genre: Electronic, Alternative

RIYL: Michael Kiwanuka, Leon Bridges, Cosima

Blurb: Jonah Yano’s only full-length album to date, souvenir” takes full advantage of his unique voice with minimalistic production and a wonderful, slow, rainy-day-listening vibe. My favorite tracks are “stones (tokyo)” and “delicate.” I also highly recommend looking up “poor me colors show” on YouTube. And yes, I found this album because his name is Jonah.

Programming Director’s Pick — Dan Frazo ’23

Album: “Decide” — Djo

Genre: Bedroom Pop, Synth Pop, Psychedelia

RIYL: Litany, Post Animal, Thundercat, Tame Impala

Blurb: While the name “Djomay be new to you, the chances are pretty high you’ve seen him on the set of Netflix's “Stranger Things. That’s right, Steve Harrington (Joe Keery) is more than just a pretty-faced, peaked-in-high-school jock with a killer character arc. Joe Keery, under the stage name Djo, released his second full-length studio album, 2022’s “Decide,as a beautiful evolution from his other work. The album sees Keery coming into his stride. Powerful synth beats are overlaid with winky pop hooks, not to mention lyrics with depth never before seen in Keery’s work.

Social Media Manager’s Pick — Georgia Millman-Perlah ’25

Album: “Expert In A Dying Field” — The Beths 

Genre: Indie, Pop Punk

RIYL: Snail Mail, Alvvays, Mannequin Pussy, Beabadoobee

Blurb: “Expert In A Dying Field” is New Zealand power pop band the Beths’ third studio album. Released September 16, this album builds on a very consistent sound that the Beths maintain through their discography. But “Expert In A Dying Field” incorporates more personal lyricism than 2020’s “Jump Rope Gazers”. This album digs a bit deeper into interpersonal relationships told with heavy guitar and powerful female vocals. 

Concert Director’s Pick — Luke Robins ’23

Album: “Impostor Syndrome— AG Club

Genre: Hip-Hop, Electronic, Indie Rock, Genre-less

RIYL: Tyler the Creator, Frank Ocean, Denzel Curry, Paris Texas

Blurb: The AG Club seems to find their voice on “Impostor Syndrome,” not in a consistent sound but in the range of sounds woven together. Two of the album’s singles, “TRU RELIGION” and “Kevin” showcase this range. This genre-play bounces from shout-out-the-chorus punk rap to in-the-feels electronic pop, and it does it all equally well.