Radio Roundup: the Indie Rock takeover

Have your Spotify playlists become stale? Is your weekly mix just not cutting it? Maybe it’s time to branch out and listen to something new. The Executive Board of WRMC, Middlebury College’s radio station, has selected a wonderfully wide range of albu

*RIYL (recommended if you like)

DJ Pick — Ben Knudsen ’23

Show: Whatever It Is — Fridays at 11 a.m.

Album: “From 2 to 3”  — Peach Pit

Genre: Indie Rock, Folk Rock

RIYL: Hippo Campus, Fleet Foxes, Summer Salt

Blurb: The Vancouver quartet’s third studio album strips down the busier sound of their first two records and brings them in touch with some folkier roots. Neil Smith, Peach Pit’s lead singer and songwriter, does some of his most poignant work to date on tracks like “Look Out!” and “2015,” while precise lead guitar from Chris Vanderkooy is put to great use across the album. Perfect for driving through Vermont this spring with the windows down.

Concerts Manager’s Pick — Jose Morales ’22

Show: Soft Sounds from the Clouds — Thursdays at 10 p.m.

Album: “Shotgun” — Soccer Mommy

Genre: Indie Rock, Indie Pop

RIYL: Snail Mail, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker

Blurb: Shotgun is the first track for Soccer Mommy’s upcoming album, “Sometimes, Forever.” She dropped a music video alongside the album announcement. 

DJ Pick — Maeve Callahan ’22.5 and Courtney Crawford ’22.5

Show: Go Feb Yourself — Wednesdays at 4 p.m.

Album: “Five Seconds Flat” — Lizzy McAlpien

Genre: Alternative, Indie, Folk

RIYL: Adam Melchor, Eloise, Madeline the Person, Abby Cates

Blurb: Warm, pure and simple meets powerful and haunting in this recently released album. Lizzy McAlpine puts so much passion into her lyrics, and it's clear that all of her songs are incredibly heartfelt. She is just 22 years old, and yet her songs convey a timeless and intimate understanding of life, love and loss.

DJ Pick — Charlie Keohane ’24

Show: Witching Hour — Tuesdays at 10 a.m.

Album: “Landmark” — Hippo Campus

Genre: Indie Rock, Alternative

RIYL: Wallows, COIN, Vampire Weekend, Dayglow

Blurb: The Minnesota-based band Hippo Campus jumped on the indie-pop scene with their bubbly 2017 debut album, "Landmark." From the bouncy lead single "Boyish" to the subtle strums of "Vacation," the album has a soulful range. Their lyrics are playful and colorful, and the album flows well sonically as tracks sometimes melt into each other. Although I haven't loved some of their more recent projects, I always return to this record.