Radio Roundup: Can’t help falling in love with a new autumn playlist

*RIYL (recommended if you like)

Co-Concert Manager Exec Pick — Luke Robins ’23

Album: “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert” — Little Simz

Genre: Hip-Hop

RIYL: Noname, Slowthai, Tierra Whack

Blurb: Little Simz had my favorite verse of 2019 with her feature on “New Breed” and I was still blown away by how much I loved this new album. The versatility of Inflo’s beats is only surpassed by Little Simz’s ability to adapt her voice and flow to each new style thrown her way. Little Simz does it all on this album that will go down as one of my favorites of 2021. 

General Manager’s Exec Pick — Maddie Van Beek ’22.5

Album: “A PawPaw Rod EP” — PawPaw Rod

Genre: Hip-Hop, Funk

RIYL: binki, Terry Presume, Jelani Aryeh

Blurb: PawPaw Rod’s debut single, “HIT EM WHERE IT HURTS” is what got me through last winter and the tail end of my semester off. It is filled to the brim with good vibes and addictive rhythms. Since its release, I have eagerly awaited each new single until now, when we finally have the complete EP.

Library Manager’s Exec Pick — Kyle Hooker ’24

Album: “The Subdudes” — The Subdudes

Genre: Roots, Folk Rock, Cajun

RIYL: Keb’ Mo’, The Radiators, Seal

Blurb: This is a really fun album with prominent horn riffs, harmonic vocals and interesting instrumentation in general. For example, the band substitutes a tambourine for drums, giving it a different sort of feel/beat. The group is from New Orleans and nicely blends elements of folk, R&B, country, funk and gospel. It’s a perfect soundtrack of a leisurely weekend morning. 

Tech Director’s Exec Pick — Dan Frazo ’23

Album: “Payador” — Tim Hill

Genre: Psychedelic Folk, Desert Rock

RIYL: Khruangbin, Leonard Cohen, Liz Cooper, The Stampede

Blurb: Tim Hill is an LA-based singer/songwriter with a unique ability to bring time to a complete standstill. After listening to his debut (and only) album, “Payador,” straight through, one finds themself trapped in a hot blur, like a cold glass of water left outside in the Arizona desert. Bringing together slow rhythms, melancholic lyrics and captivating loops, “Payador” is a masterpiece of genre-mashing psychedelia.

Social Media Director’s Exec Pick — Kai Velazquez ’23

Album: “After Hours” — Rahsaan Patterson

Genre: R&B

RIYL: Eric Roberson, Meshell Ndegeocello

Blurb: This is the kind of album that’ll get you cheesing and thinking about your boo. “After Hours” is composed of funky, upbeat and Isley-ish vibes. Patterson’s vocals are fused with enthusiasm and get you moving on your feet. 

Music Director’s Exec Pick — Natalie Penna ’24

Album: “Transatlanticism” — Death Cab for Cutie 

Genre: Indie, Emo 

RIYL: The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Slaughter Beach, Dog 

Blurb: “Transatlanticism” is a laid-back, mostly-quiet, melodic album to listen to as you stare at your ceiling. It’s seriously one of my favorite albums of all time, and I love Ben Gibbard’s songwriting. Listen to the Tiny Vessels to Transatlanticism to Passenger Seat sequence — you can thank me later!

Co-Concerts Manager’s Exec Pick — Yardena Carmi ’23

Album: “Working for the Knife” — Mitski

Genre: Indie Rock

RIYL: Phoebe Bridgers, Japanese Breakfast, Soccer Mommy

Blurb: Mitski’s back, baby! After a three-year break from releasing music — aside from a couple of guest spots and soundtracks — this new single falls effortlessly into the existing Mitski canon. Come for the infectious, silky-sweet vocals; stay for the existential dread.