Vermont breaks single-day Covid-19 record, adopts mandatory quarantine

With 72 cases, Vermont saw a record high of single-day cases since April. Yesterday, Gov. Phil Scott implemented a mandatory quarantine order for anyone returning or traveling to the state. This is a response to a 34% increase in Covid-19 cases in the northeast since last week, according to government data. Overall, cases rose by 46% this week and hospitalizations are also increasing. 

“I want to be very clear that much of our case growth is tied to two factors: Vermonters traveling out of state and Vermonters gathering in ways where distancing and masking break down,” Vermont Governor Phil Scott said in a press release. “We need to act now to protect the vulnerable and to keep our schools and economy open.”

As a result, the cross-state travel map is temporarily suspended. A 14-day quarantine – or 7 days followed by a negative COVID-19 test – is now required for all non-essential travels. 

The state is also expanding its testing program and increasing its compliance checks at lodging facilities, bars and restaurants.

In light of the approaching Thanksgiving holiday, Gov. Scott strongly recommends that social gatherings be limited to 10 or fewer people, with a very limited number of trusted households. 

“To stop the spread, to protect each other, we need to act now. We are on the threshold the decisions we make today will truly determine our future,” said Vermont Commissioner of Health Dr. Mark Levine.

Correction: An earlier version of this piece incorrectly reported that the number of cases in Vermont peaked today at 43 cases; there were 72 cases.

Florence Wu

Florence Wu '22 is the multimedia editor specializing in photojournalism. She enjoys photography as a way of connecting with others, as well as recording special events and moments in her personal life. She is inspired by the works of Robert Frank, Joel Sternfeld, Alec Soth, Teju Cole, and Gregory Halpern. This year, she will be working on a photojournalism project on the lives of workers at the college and town of Middlebury. Feel free to contact her via email for photo, video or podcast ideas.