Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Local Lowdown

Bristol Concert
May 6, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Join the father and son band, They Might be Gypsies, at the WalkOver concert room in Bristol. The music is inspired by Django Reinhardt’s gypsy jazz from the 1930s. Tickets for the performance are $10 online, and $12 at the door. For more information, call (802) 453-3188 or email walkover@mac.com.

Shoreham Apple Blossom Derby
May 7, 9 a.m.
Meet at the Shoreham Elementary School and participate in a 10K or 5K run. Other options include a 5K walk, as well as a Family Fun Run, which starts at 9:30 a.m. Registration opens at 9 a.m., followed by the other races at 10 a.m. The event, which raises money for the Shoreham Elementary School, is in it 28th year, and this year hopes to garner enough cash to install a $6,000 gym floor, as the current one is a 15-year-old industrial carpet. To register, visit http://www.shorehamschool.org/derby. The cost is $20 for adults and $10 for those under 18. The Family Fun Run is $10 for adults and $5 for children.

Mother’s Day plant sale in Bristol
May 7 and 8, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Head over to the Lawrence Memorial Library in Bristol, Vt. to find the perfect Mother’s Day gift! The library, located at 40 North St., will offer a variety of hanging baskets, shrubs and perennials that are sure to brighten up homes and welcome spring. All proceeds from the sale will benefit the library. Get a great gift and support a local cause at the same time!

Porter Hospital benefit
May 7, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Sue and Bruce Byers, residents of Cornwall, Vt., are opening their home to guests for a “Derby Day” benefit. To attend, call (802) 388-4738 to purchase a ticket for $45. The Porter Medical Center auxiliary is sponsoring the event, and all proceeds go to the Partners in Palliative Care and to the Helen Porter Healthcare and
Rehabilitation Center.

Arts walk
May 13, 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Take a break from finals and enjoy the Middlebury Arts Walk. The relaxing stroll through downtown Middlebury features a range of art pieces, music and food. Soak up the festive atmosphere with friends and community members while browsing for the perfect piece of art. For more information, call (802) 388-7951, ext. 2.

Comedy show in Brandon
May 13, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Take a trip to Brandon, Vt. for an entertaining performance by local comic Tony Bates. The stand-up comedy show is intended for audience members 16 years of age and older. Tickets are available for $8 at the door of the Brandon Town Hall. There will be a variety of refreshments and snacks for sale as well. For more information, call (802) 247-5420. You won’t want to miss this hilarious evening!