Preschoolers take over Snow Bowl for Iguana Cup

The Middlebury College Snow Bowl welcomed skiers from age five to age 50 to participate in the second annual Iguana Cup, a fundraiser for the Quarry Hill School. The private preschool, located on Quarry Rd. in Middlebury, hoped to raise approximately $2,000 to support the school’s day-to-day activities and its scholarship program, which covers tuition costs for 15 to 20 percent of the students. According to Su White, director of the Quarry Hill School and a teacher there since 1981, the event was quite successful; 60 participants had pre-registered for race day, Sunday, March 20, and White estimated that with walk-ons, there would be approximately 100 racers.
“We hope that this is something that whole families can participate in,” said White, who also announced racers’ times as they sped down the course, located on the lower Allen trail. The race was a dual-slalom format, with skiers racing side-by-side on a red and blue course. Each competitor, part of a six-person team, could race the course twice, with his or her best time used to calculate scores.
Stever Bartlett, alpine ski coach at the College, helped with setup and timing of the course, and stressed that the race is an important community event that brings skiers of all ages and their families together.
“It is a cool event because a lot of the younger kids that go see the ski team training, both the college and junior club teams,” said Bartlett. “This gives them a great opportunity to jump in the gates. It is a really fun intro to what the competitive side of ski racing is.”
For Bartlett, the event was also a family affair, as his brother Judd helped with the on-hill setup. Bartlett’s niece was a student at the school two years ago, and his nephew currently attends. The race succeeded in creating a fun, family environment to raise funds for the school.
“From being at the start, it seemed liked there was at least twice as many people as last year,” he said. “You could not ask for a better day to go up there.”
The race took place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and in the afternoon a band entertained crowds at the base of the mountain, an addition to this year’s event. Organizers held an awards ceremony at 2:30 p.m.
Despite the vast difference in age of many of the competitors, a common thread brought all attendees to the Snow Bowl: a love for the Quarry Hill School.
Volunteer Therese Fafard, whose daughter Emmaline, now nine years old, attended the school and whose son Giles competed in the race, said that the school has benefited her family immensely. Its inclusive curriculum caters to the needs of each of its students, who are all between the ages of three and six.
“[The school] pulls in kids from all different communities,” said Fafard. “It is really neat in that way.”
For Emmaline, who did not compete in the race, the day was still fun.
“I just like to help my mom at the Iguana Cup table,” she said.
Of those who raced, few were students at the pre-school. Adults, some of whom also volunteered at the event, competed on the course, as did members of the Middlebury Ski Club.
Grace Dayton, a sixth grader at Cornwall Elementary School, is a member of the Middlebury Ski Club, and raced — in jeans, a flannel shirt, suspenders and a bandana — with her team, the “Lumberjoes.” Dayton’s favorite part of the event was the costume, as she and her friends went to Burlington, Vt. to pick out the perfect attire.
Also competing with the “Lumberjoes” was Hanna Howell ’12, who has coached the development program of the Middlebury Ski Club for the past two seasons. Howell noted that many of the club’s racers attended the Quarry Hill School, and that their participation in the event added to its success.
“Their season is winding down now, so it is great to keep them enthusiastic about ski racing by taking part in fun races like these, where the emphasis is on costumes and team names and silliness instead of the competitive pressure of their regular season races,” wrote Howell in an email.
Howell’s involvement is part of why Bartlett loves the event.
“It is a great link between the community and the college and what goes on up at the Snow Bowl,” he said. “That is what I see as one of the huge benefits.”
The Iguana Cup, dedicated to the school’s deceased iguana, Warren, is just one of the fundraisers that the preschool organizes annually. In the fall, teachers hold an arts auction, and in the spring, others organize a yard sale.
“[It is a] triad that appeals to different people in different ways,” said White, who was incredibly grateful for the event’s sponsors, “people who have supported us before the race even happened.”
Sponsors included the National Bank of Middlebury, Middlebury Fitness, Square Spot Design and the Middlebury College Snow Bowl.
Peter Mackey, manager of the Snow Bowl, was pleased the mountain could host an event for a good cause, and noted that in its second year, the Iguana Cup is still growing.
“[We] always have to look at how it impacts us positively or negatively,” said Mackey. “At this point it is kind of neutral.”
Mackey noted that the Snow Bowl gives up some trail space for the event, but that it also brings new people to the mountain and that the organizers and volunteers for the Quarry Hill School “can do most of the set-up and organization without help from us.”
“It is a beautiful day. I see no reason why we won’t do it next year,” he said.
Many agreed that the event was a success, as it raised money for a good cause and provided a fun community gathering for kids and adults.
For White, funds raised from the Iguana Cup will ensure that the teaching team, many of whom have been at the school since the 1980s, can continue to fulfill the school’s mission.
“[We want to bring] kids into a space that is safe and fun and full of discovery and for parents to know that and to be included as well,” said White.