Panthers attack Mules, emerge with 2-0 win

The women’s soccer team is rising. With a dominating 2-0 shutout at Colby last Saturday, not only did the team redeem Middlebury’s honor in far-off Waterville, Maine., they took a big step forward in improving their standing in the NESCAC. Now the Panthers have the momentum of three straight wins taking them into this weekend’s home showdown with the Amherst Lord Jeffs, and if they can pull off a victory, Middlebury will see itself well poised to regain a top spot in the conference. With perennial rival Williams’ 1-0 loss to Amherst last weekend –– snapping a three-year undefeated streak that lasted 38 consecutive games –– the NESCAC remains a wide-open playing field, and Middlebury’s stand-out performances of late have kept them in contention for the title.

The Colby game represented a continuation of the increased work effort and determination of the Middlebury squad. The team seems to improve game by game, and Saturday’s match saw the players control possession for a considerable fraction of the 90 minutes. From the start, the Panthers’ attack consistently created scoring chances, and perhaps the only complaint that can be made was that they did translate more shots into goals.

“I think it’s fair to say we dominated for a good portion of the game,” said tri-captain Drew Smith ’11, “and we definitely had some great chances that we would have liked to put away.”

However, tri-captain Katie Ruymann ’11 noted that, “it was the strongest first half we’ve played this season. Our forwards were combining well up top and creating dangerous scoring opportunities.”

The development of the Middlebury attack meant that the Panthers did not have to wait long to make their mark on the scoreboard (unlike the Skidmore game), as Gabi Curbelo-Zeidman ’11 scored a little after the halfway mark of the opening 45 minutes and Annie Rowell ’11 followed up her assist with a goal of her own shortly before the close of the half. The Panthers’ first goal was initiated by the spark that Rachel Madding ’13 brought into the game, and is a testament to the team-oriented attack that Middlebury showcases when at its best.

“I’m pretty sure that the first goal was scored seconds after [Madding] came onto the field,” commented Caroline Downer ’11, “which just shows how much of an impact she really is. Gabi’s goal was beautiful and very classic Gabi. Her foot skills are incredible and she was able to make a couple of defenders look silly right before she scored.”

Despite not scoring again in the second half, Middlebury’s defense held strong and kept the few Colby shots from becoming significant threats. Spear-headed by Colby Gibbs ’13, an “impenetrable wall” in the words of Downer, and Lauryn Torch ’11, the Panther defense recorded its third shutout of the year, and is coalescing into a goal-denying force.

The team as a whole is coming together nicely in an almost seamless mixture of veteran leadership and young talent. With a strong senior class of eight impact players, as well as the energy provided by younger members of the team such as Amy Schleuter ’13, Maddy Boston ’13 and Julia Favorito ’14, the Panthers have a deep squad that allows for a consistently strong level of play.

“The Colby match was a good example of how hard work off the ball and composed play on the ball will pay off,” said coach Peter Kim. The work ethic of the team is indeed impressive, and carries through from games to the training pitch; this week the intensity of practices is sure to be high as the team prepares to take on the leader of the NESCAC.