Men’s soccer remains undefeated

Six games. No goals conceded. The 2010 Middlebury men’s soccer team has made a habit of shutouts. In fact, the last goal it allowed was the one that sent it packing in overtime of last season’s NESCAC championship game.

Thanks to a three-win week against opponents Norwich, Bowdoin and Colby-Sawyer, the team pushed its record to 6-0 overall, 3-0 in the NESCAC and kept its zero goals-against streak alive. This impressive, defensive week of play, in which Middlebury outscored opponents 13-0 and outshot them by a lopsided 60-12, had Coach Saward harkening back to the 2007 Panthers squad, which allowed only seven goals in 21 matches.

“I think the success, which feeds on itself, is that the whole team takes pride in its defensive consistency,” said Saward. “The 2007 team was excellent defensively, but it is still early so we shall see with this crew as to how it will ultimately compare.” Goalie Tim Cahill ’12 has been solid in the net for the squad, recording two full-game shutouts against Norwich and Bowdoin (numbers three and four on the season) and one more shutout appearance before being lifted in the Colby-Sawyer game.

“Tim has been steady and has made good strides in all aspects of his game,” said Saward. “All we ask of him is to play within himself and trust his good instincts, which is what he is doing.”

The Panthers opened their week on Wednesday at home against Norwich, handing the in-state rival a resounding 7-0 defeat. Tyler Smith ’14 and Harrison Watkins ’11 each netted two goals, with Sam Peisch ’13.5, Martin Drolet ’12 and Ethan Gallette ’13 each adding one. The scoring did not begin until 30 minutes into the first half, when Smith scored his first, but then the floodgates opened, as the team scored five of its goals within a 19-minute span of the second half.

“The Norwich game was one of those days where everything went well for us,” said Saward. “We scored three or four very good goals, which on another day would not go our way.”

Jake Edwards ’11 turned in the performance of the match, assisting on the team’s first three goals and in the process tying the school record for assists in a game. Edwards, an outside defender and midfielder, won NESCAC player of the week for his efforts, a rare honor for the less flashy positions.

“I think it is interesting that as we look at  our stats, almost 50 percent of our goals this year have come from set plays,” said Saward. “That always points to the guy who supplies the delivery, and for us that is Jake. To break any record is an achievement and Jake deserves all the credit.”

The win against Bowdoin on Saturday, however, was by far the most important of the team’s week as it recorded its third NESCAC win and increased its conference goal differential to +4.

The game, played in front of yet another vibrant home crowd, saw Alex Colucci ’12 score off a set piece in the 43rd minute, assisted by Carson Cornbrooks ’11. Smith then added an insurance goal off a feed by Edwards in the 71st minute. Saward was especially impressed by Colucci’s game-winning goal.

“Colucci’s goal was excellent, and typifies Alex’s determination to succeed,” said Saward. “A lot of players would not have gotten their head on that cross but Alex was brave and courageous –– a great goal, scored at a very opportune moment.”

The team secured its final victory of the week downing Colby-Sawyer 4-0 on Sunday.  Matt Martin ’12.5, Watkins, Edwards and Tyler Macnee ’12 all scored for the Panters. Zach Abdu-Glass ’13 got some time between the pipes as he relieved the starter Cahill in the 62nd minute.

“Graham Knisley ’14 got the start at left back, performed very well and got the assist on the first goal,” said Saward of the final game of the week. “Watkins was excellent once again, as were Otis Pitney ’12 and Cornbrooks, who simply outwork their opposite numbers every day.”

The team faces NESCAC rival Colby on Saturday as it looks to extend its already impressive winning streak.