editorial Troubling report finds sexism in social scene

Author: [no author name found]

The report of the Task Force on the Status of Women at Middlebury College, released to the College community by e-mail earlier this week, is surprisingly, refreshingly frank - and yet the contents of the report, which detail a student social life permeated by a dangerous degree of sexism, are deeply troubling. In what the task force has termed the most daunting of its findings, these fundamental problems of sexism foster a social life on campus that is dangerous and unhealthy for not only women but also the community as a whole.

What the report describes is in fact a reality students encounter on a routine basis: female students who are high-achieving, motivated and confident student leaders during the week are objectified - and indeed often objectify themselves - on the weekends. Alcohol, which according to the report is predominantly controlled by men on campus, exacerbates unhealthy social interactions in which risky sexual behavior is prevalent.

This social and gendered dynamic could, arguably, be applicable at any number of colleges. What Middlebury's report does acknowledge, however, is the unique "work hard, play hard" mentality held so dear at Middlebury is, in fact, one of the factors making Middlebury's social scene as dangerous as it is. In "playing" to the same extremes that Middlebury students work, students are driven to be high achievers both inside and outside of the classroom, coloring drinking and sexuality on campus in a decidedly competitive light. Given that students experience stress in different ways, the stress that results from academic workload, pressure to conform, body image issues, sexual relationships and recreational options, according to the report, remain significant gendered problems in 2008.

For many students, this description of the College's social life is neither surprising nor particularly disturbing. We are accustomed to seeing the Jekyll and Hyde-like manner in which men and women both work and study on campus. What is surprising is the acute institutional recognition now afforded to this social scene, however. The student social life is only one small facet of this sweeping report, but student social life, along with eating disorders, are handled with especial gravity and concern.

What, then, is to be done? Many of the report's 74 recommendations (recommendations which run the gamut in feasibility and depth) are strong, and should be adopted by the College as soon as possible. Access to an on-campus nutritionist is one recommendation in particular that the administration can and must commit to meeting immediately. Many of the recommendations that relate to problems of social life, though, all chip at what is a much larger problem of perception on campus. Until some sea change is established within the student body itself - until sexism, and issues of gender inequity and indeed violence, are considered as offensive on this campus as racism or homophobia - these small solutions will have little or no effect on the student body at large.

A response, then, must come from within the student ranks. As the report remarks, we cannot attribute our community's problems solely to alcohol use on campus. To do so would abdicate responsibility for the social dynamics at play in our midst. Instead, it is time for groups of individuals to demand - by their behavior - a change. For instance, students should question more vocally hyper-sexualized parties and themed events on campus that degrade our female peers.

Students surveyed by the task force indicated severe displeasure with the social life on campus, and some respondents termed it unhealthy and unsafe. In light of these complaints, students must rally at the forefront of establishing social change.

It is important to note that this report acknowledges in many places the significant gains that have been made in improving the status of women at the College. In the last 10 years, more women - among the students, faculty and staff - have ascended into effective leadership positions. The classroom experience is equitable and "safe" for female students. Parental leave and child care programs have improved substantially for faculty and staff members. The Women's and Gender Studies program has seen additional growth.

These gains are admirable and necessary. However, as progress in fostering a healthy social life on campus for women stagnates, it is apparent that these gains must be supplemented by significant headway within new, rocky terrain.