Spotlight on...Penelope

Author: Alexxa Gotthardt

Ryan Abernathey '04 (drums/guitar) Andrew Bishop '05.5 (vocals/guitar), Matt Longo '04 (keyboards/glockenspiel), Andy Lynch '03 (bass) and Allen Wilcox '05 (guitar/vocals) make up Penelope, the melodious, ever-rocking five-piece born on Middlebury's campus. Now relocated to Brooklyn, the band is not only exploring new territory, but also new sounds and fresh ideas for the future. They returned to Middlebury this past weekend to perform an utterly successful gig in Pearsons Lounge, where they had loyal fans and Penelope virgins alike rocking out to their fresh, vibrant set. The Campus caught up with vocalist, guitarist and most recent graduate of Middlebury Andrew Bishop to talk about transformation and things to come for Penelope.

The Middlebury Campus: When did the band form? What was the original catalyst?
Andrew Bishop: Penelope formed in the autumn of 2002. I had started at Middlebury in the spring, and near the end of the semester, I had a few encounters with a crazy, charismatic student named Allen Wilcox.
During these limited exchanges, he and I discussed music we loved, art we'd done in our previous lives, etc. But when summer rolled around, we naturally fell out of touch. Then towards the end of the summer, he started sending me strange, cryptic emails that sometimes contained only one word: a suggested band name. When school started again, I met up with him, and he introduced me to his friends Matt, Ryan, Andy, and Mike, who were all eager musicians. At that point, our agenda seemed clear: we had to form a band.

TC: How has Penelope evolved since its Middlebury days? How has life in the big city changed Penelope?
AB: Well, for one thing, our band has gotten smaller. Our good friend Mike Rimoin is no longer with us, and this change has definitely affected our sound. On a more abstract level, living on our own in a big city has given us a little more courage to follow our musical instincts. We all work full-time jobs; our music is the other half of our lives. So, we refuse to get bogged down by any kind of aesthetic fad. I've sworn off reading music reviews altogether. I think it can be really disabling to a musician or composer. When we came here, we decided that we would write and play music on our own terms. It's paid off thus far.

TC: How did it feel coming back to Midd this past weekend?
AB: It hasn't been too long since I left Middlebury, so it wasn't as bizarre as I think it was for all of the other guys. But we wanted everyone to know how much fun we had playing this past weekend! Thanks for coming!

TC: How would you describe your sound?
AB: That's a difficult task I'd rather not undertake, because I'll say something which initially makes sense, but then I'll instantly contradict myself and then we'll still be at square one.

TC: What do you feel is Penelope's strongest attribute?
AB: I feel like we are a completely new band since we've all moved to Brooklyn, and I am constantly surprised by what we're capable of accomplishing. I'm still searching for the "strongest attribute" of Penelope. Right now, I think it's the following: enthusiasm and stamina.

TC: Penelope's future holds…
AB: Our plan is to spend the rest of the spring and early summer finishing and refining new material; to record an album over the course of two or three weeks in late summer; to shop it around and try to get it signed; and to tour ASAP.