Actors of 'The Project' shine in dark roles

Author: Ellen Grafton

The senior work of Lucas Kavner '06.5 and Daniel di Tomasso '06 proved to be well worth the buzz it had accumulated. The show, presented in the Hepburn Zoo March 30 through April 1, was originally directed by Guest Professor of Theater Alex Draper, but the final direction was by Professor of Theater Richard Romagnoli.

Set in a totalitarian state sometime in the future, the play follows the story of a writer (Kavner) who has been arrested in connection with the horrific murders of several children. Through his interviews with two police officers (MacLeod Andrews '07.5 and di Tomasso) we learn that the murders of the children match the murders described in the writer's stories. These stories are periodically narrated to the audience by Kavner, while the action is mimed by actors behind him. The writer's mentally-handicapped brother, played by Willie Orbison '08, is also taken into custody. Eventually, the writer is shocked to discover his own brother is guilty of the murders. Even more devastating for the writer is the realization that the murders were acted out based on the vivid descriptions in his violent short stories. The action that ensues raises questions about the nature of art and its responsibilities to society.

Playing the character of a disturbed but brilliant writer, Kavner was able to expand from his most recent roles as a sweet-hearted lover (David in "The Melting Pot" and Walker and Ned in "Three Days of Rain") to prove his competency at darker material. Though the quirky artistic tendencies and affability of his character echoed Kavner's earlier roles, he handled the violence and morbidity of the character with equal grace.

Di Tomasso lost the common family issues of his earlier performance in "The House of Yes" to portray a violent police officer with a sentimental side. Though di Tomasso's speech was occasionally difficult to understand, his vocal and physical embodiment of a sweet-tempered bone breaker were well-played. He was in turns comical and frightening, as befits the text. As his intelligent and manipulative partner, Andrews '07.5 embodied well the deceits of a justice system that can be as brutal as it is persuasive.

The surprise performance of the night was that of Orbison. In his first major role on the Middlebury stage, Orbison played the mentally-disabled brother of the writer. Orbison's physical portrayal never faltered despite the constant movement and tension it demanded. The endearing moments between Kavner and Orbison paid off in the audience's reaction of shock at Orbison's admittance to the murder. In a role that could easily have become a caricature, Orbison remained convincing.

The set design by Christina Galvez '06 mirrored the dichotomy of writing and reality within the text. Most of the action took place in a grim, grey and green-toned office. A single metal desk with chairs served as the only set pieces. The seemingly solid grey flats became transparent to reveal a hidden landscape whenever Kavner related his stories to the audience.

Bright green hills and trees reminiscent of the drawings of Dr. Seuss magically appeared behind the screens, creating a separate playing space in which the stories could be acted out. Courtney Swanda's '06 costume design supported the duality of the play as established through the set. The costumes of the main characters had the same cool tones of the office, while the costumes of the mimed scenes had a vivid, cartoon-like palette.

The careful direction, strong choices, and vivid design culminated in what has already become one of the most talked-about Middlebury shows this year.