Lewis delights in pleasing the crowd

Author: By Ian Thomas Fleishman

The Paul Lewis concert of Beethoven sonatas on Friday night at the Concert Hall at the Center for the Arts was likely the single most enjoyable performance that I have attended yet this year.

Certainly, there have been no small number of piano recitals in this year's concert series, and many still to follow, but this striking young Brit was not to be missed. From the very first notes, his performance of Beethoven was both playful and pensive, grounded on a solid command of the keys.

This recital is the first of three that Lewis will perform at Middlebury this year. Beginning last year, he has been realizing his dream of recording all of Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas and performing them throughout the world. Other areas to enjoy Lewis' wonderful performance include the United Kingdom, Australia and Europe. Middlebury is Lewis' primary venue in the United States, though he also plans to stop in San Francisco and Vancouver, British Columbia.

Beethoven's influence on the contemporary piano composition cannot be underestimated and Lewis' undertaking is ambitious and exciting.

His next performances in Middlebury will be held on March 16 and May 12, and both will consist exclusively of Beethoven sonatas.

Despite the unvaried nature of the program, Lewis' performance was delightful. His composure on the stage varied from an infectiously casual ease to an agitated corporal involvement with the more somber musical passages.

In spite of the difficult nature of certain pieces, particularly "Waldstein," Sonata no. 21, Lewis engaged his audience entirely and met hearty applause at the end of his program - an extremely enthusiastic public response, which sadly lost fervor too soon to inspire the performer to an encore. While it would be nice to hear Lewis play something other than Beethoven, in the meantime it is an enjoyable privilege to witness his rendition of the illustrious composer's works.