Faculty opposes CA acquisition

Author: Ben Salkowe

In a vote at Monday's Faculty Council meeting, the faculty voted overwhelmingly against Middlebury College's possible acquisition of the Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS) in Monterey, Calif. The vote was for a resolution expressing the sense of the faculty. According to Allison Byerly, vice president for academic affairs, the faculty voted 80 - 21 to oppose the acquisition with 15 abstentions.

A final decision on the acquisition will be made by President Ronald D. Liebowitz.

"Faculty Council was asked, by a number of faculty, to hold a vote that would give a sense of the faculty resolution on the possibility of acquiring the Monterey Institute, and we formulated a resolution to gauge faculty opinion on this issue," said Jeff Cason, chair of the Faculty Council and associate professor of Political Science.

Both Cason and Byerly are part of the Monterey Program Steering Committee that has investigated acquisition.

A report released to the College Community in February explained the possible acquisition. "The Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS), a graduate institution well respected for its international programs and focus on foreign language fluency, is located in Monterey, California," said the report composed by the faculty serving as the Coordination Group.

"MIIS is currently on financial probation from its accrediting body, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and is looking to be acquired by a stronger educational partner in order to enhance the quality of its programs and ensure long term survival."

If the College were to acquire MIIS, the institute would remain a separate entity and, according to the report, have a relationship with the College similar to those of the Language Schools and Breadloaf School of English.

Liebowitz made opening remarks at the meeting, where Ana Martinez-Lage and Peter Matthews, associate professors of Spanish and Economics, respectively, spoke out against plans being considered by the College to acquire the Monterey Institute.

Michael Kraus, Frederick C. Dirks professor of Political Science, spoke in favor of acquisition. Kraus is also a member of the Steering Committee.

"I thought that the discussion at the faculty meeting was thoughtful and wide-ranging, in the end," said Cason.

In addition to Byerly, Cason and Kraus, the Coordination Group consists of Christian A. Johnson istinguished Professor of Economics David Colander, Dean of Language Schools and Schools Abroad and Professor of German Michael Geisler and Director of the Rohatyn Center for International Affairs Allison Stanger.