Saturday, May 4, 2024

Quartet takes on Beethoven

Author: Lauren Smith

The Middlebury College Performing Arts Series presented the internationally renowned Takacs Quartet Friday night at the Center for the Arts Concert Hall. The string quartet performed a selection of Beethoven compositions to the crowded concert hall in a performance that came alive through the excellent musicianship of the four performers.

The quartet is composed of violinists Edward Dusinberre and Karoly Schranz, violist Roger Tapping and cellist Andras Fejer. The original Takacs Quartet was formed in 1975 at the Franz List Academy in Budapest and included two of its current performers, Fejer and Schranz. The group has since gone on to win several international awards, and it made its North American debut tour in 1982. Since 1983, they have held a residency at the University of Colorado as well as at the Aspen Music Festival and School. This season, the quartet has performed the Beethoven String Quartet cycle at the Lincoln Center in New York, among other places. In May, they will perform in London's Wigmore Hall and in several other cities across Europe.

The concert began with Op. 18, No. 6 in B-flat Major, a piece composed by Beethoven around 1800. The first movements of the composition move swiftly and rather symmetrically, giving more weight to the last movements, which are heavy and arresting. The traditional four-movement form here was given exciting new treatment with Beethoven's emphasis on the last two movements.

The quartet continued with Op. 135 in F Major, a vibrant and fast paced piece that, nonetheless, brought the listener through a variety of emotions, from deeply melancholic and thoughtful to uplifted and spiritually awakened.

After a quick intermission, the four performers returned to the stage to play their last piece, String Quartet in C Major, Op. 59, No. 3, also by Beethoven. Here, the performers came alive. Their passion and spirit could be seen throughout the performance as they often closed their eyes, not needing to see the music, but only needing to feel it. The connection between the four musicians was undeniable and possibly the most exciting aspect of the entire performance. It is certainly what makes them so captivating to not only listen to, but also to watch. They observe one another out of the corners of their eyes to look for cues to the next part in the music and, also, to observe the passionate playing of their fellow musicians. The performers clearly enjoy their own music and appreciate the genius of one another - a necessary quality of a successful musical -ensemble.

The concert ended on a humorous note when Paul Nelson, Professor of Political Science and Faculty Co-head of Brainerd Commons, came on stage to present the performers with an unusual gift - not flowers, but Middlebury sweatshirts. Nelson explained that the group had been coming to Middlebury to perform for 18 years and "the number 18 is an important one here at the College. It is when students first arrive on campus and what is one of the first things they do? They buy a college sweatshirt, of course." Nelson then handed the blue and white sweatshirts to the smiling performers. much to the amusement of the audience.