Spotlight on...Megan Guiliano

Author: Jodie Zhang and Lauren Smith

The Middlebury Campus: How long have you been playing violin?

Megan Guiliano: About 17 years. I started playing violin when I was three through the Suzuki program organized in my hometown.

The Campus: Tell us about your participation in the orchestra. How many hours a week do you practice?

Guiliano: As an ensemble, the orchestra practices four hours every week in two separate rehearsals on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Individual practicing varies with each member of the orchestra. Outside of rehearsal, I tend to practice three to five hours a week. Unfortunately, with an intense class schedule, practice time is often left behind.

I think Middlebury should provide a class for credit resembling the chamber ensemble class offered over Winter Term. The music department at Middlebury has potential to grow with the help of more organized opportunities for the students to perform.

The Campus: Do you play other instruments besides the violin?

Guiliano: No.

The Campus: What is it like performing at Middlebury? How often do you perform, what kinds of pieces do you play (classical, modern, etc.), do you play for large or small audiences?

Guiliano: Well, generally the orchestra performs a range of classical music including a few contemporary pieces composed by senior music majors in the spring. Performing at Middlebury is like performing anywhere else - there's usually that sense of camaraderie within the group - whether it's an orchestra or smaller string ensemble (i.e. - quartet, quintet, trio). Performing is the climax of one's experience with these other musicians and the group and individual's connection to the piece being played. Yes, a large audience is a compliment to the musicians' time and energy they've spent preparing, but performing is really about an ensemble committing their physical, spiritual and mental selves to the art form - aiming for precision and musicality through interpretation - and finally, sharing and communicating this musical experience within their community.

The Campus: How has playing the violin helped or affected you in other parts of your life?

Guiliano: Music magnifies sentiment. I think especially being here at Middlebury solely as scholars can be a very dangerous pattern. Music like all art provides a very essential parallel to this scholarly activity that makes it real. We need to feel and create and respond to that act of composing just as much as we function as intellectuals through research and analysis.

The Campus: Who is your favorite composer?

Guiliano: Too hard!

The Campus: What kinds of music do you listen to on your CD player/ iPod?

Guiliano: Variety is a necessity. Like any art, music has the potential to communicate, and because communication and understanding are very dear to me, listening to different voices and cultures is very important to my growth and understanding of the world.

Of course, I have favorites. I love Paul Simon. I love the Borodin String Quartet, the Shostakovich Piano Trio and Tchaikovsky's Serenade. I love the Velvet Underground. I love Bach's Chaconne for Violin, Ravel's Tzigane, Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen and the Sibelius Violin Concerto. And of course, I can't forget the famous Stuart-Moore and his contemporary Mr. Lindblad, both of whom I admire greatly.

The Campus: What are you future goals musically, short-term and long-term?

Guiliano: I'm not a music major, but I'll always have music.

Right now, I'm researching an idea for the summer involving volunteering in Guatemala and teaching kids violin by Suzuki method. I'm also starting to teach violin to a few kids from the community of Middlebury.

Short term... I'm in different ensembles outside of orchestra and intend on practicing on my own and next year taking up an independent 500 level course and preparing a recital. Writing is why I came to Middlebury, but I'm also thinking of taking some composition classes - another incredible language of translating sentiment.

The Campus: Any other thoughts you'd like to share with The Campus?

Guiliano: I think the Middlebury administration should give the music department more attention, both academically and financially. Although there is a music major offered, there are few classes offered for credit involving performance, i.e. ensemble classes and chamber orchestra. Comparing the sports facilities with the arts facilities, the music department specifically, receives nowhere near the attention and focus of our administration. As a musician and student of Middlebury, I expect more for the music department in the future, both current musicians at Middlebury and those considering Middlebury in their application process. A college that praises itself for diversity must commit and contribute equally across all activities, including the arts.