Diverse groups set musical bar high

Author: Andrea Gissing

At times it seems as though every third student organization is some form of music ensemble, particularly of the a cappella persuasion. Towards the end of the semester, everywhere one turned there was a sidewalk chalking or a poster announcing another show being put on by one of Middlebury's a cappella groups, be it the Dissipated Eights (D-8), the Mischords, the Bobolinks, the Mamajamas, Stuck in the Middle (SIM) - whose December show featured Middlebury's newest group, the all-female Paradiddles - the Christian People Get Ready (PGR) or the Mountain Ayres who specialize in madrigals. Despite the seemingly disproportionate number of groups present for a small school, the shows all drew large crowds. What makes a cappella music fun for performers and audience members alike?

To start, every group has their own unique style. Mamajama Ryan Reese '06 said, "I would say we have more flare for the crazy side of things. We're pretty dramatic in our presentation style and have a lot of fun each other and choreography during concerts." Veteran Bobolink Alissa Villarreal '04.5 described Middlebury's first co-ed group as having a very choral approach to the background of their songs. "In the beginning, the Bobolinks lended themselves to the awesome genre of 80's classics, but today we choose songs based on popularity and musicality."

While for the past 10 years there have been two co-ed a cappella groups that sing more modern, popular songs, until spring of 2003 the D-8s had been the only all-male ensemble since their founding in 1952. Since the formation of SIM a cappella skeptics have questioned the "need" for two such similar groups, however SIM quickly emerged into the scene and has settled into a niche of its own. "There are certainly easier things than starting an a cappella group," said Jason Lockhart '05, SIM's business director, but it has been a fun process that I'm very proud to be a part of. We started the group because there were many guys on campus who could sing well and wanted to be in an all-male a cappella group. The stars aligned correctly and SIM happened. We've been going strong ever since."

"I'd say the only real commonalities between the two are they're both all-male, they're both musically talented and they both aim to give audiences a good time," said Kevin Velez '06 of the D-8. "But to me it's like comparing two different rock bands. Each has its own unique style, chemistry and sound. Do people ever ask if there's enough room in the world for Maroon 5 and the Darkness? Of course not, because they're entirely different."

Similarly, with the start of the Paradiddles, there is greater opportunity for women to sing. "Because a cappella is so dependent on good blend, the Mischords often can't take as many people as we'd like because we can't lose our balance of sound," said Ellen Whelan-Wuest '05.5, musical director of the Mischords. "So if there is a new group on campus where more girls get to sing, than I think that's great."

"Honestly, I sing because it's fun," she continued. "When that turns into competition or some kind of lifestyle, it kind of weirds me out."

"There's a myriad of specialty groups," said Molly Bowman '07. "Because they are well established, D-8 and Mischords tend to perform together and support each other. SIM has been instrumental and inspirational in our formation. Therefore, within the a cappella community on campus, it seems that we are anything but extraneous. But now it is up to us to prove it. We hope to establish ourselves soon as a novel and enthusiastic stripe of Midd's varied a cappella zebra."

A cappella singing offers performers a very different outlet from the more traditional concert hall sound. The Paradiddle's Lynn Gray '07.5 said, "I feel much less confined to conventional singing techniques I practiced while in various choruses and choirs - one minute I'm picking out a melodic tune on "doo" and the next minute I can be imitating an electric guitar on a "zsh."

"[A cappella] is portable, organic music that can be as serious or ridiculous as your voice," said Tony Belanger '05 of SIM.

Singers all agree, one of the best parts of being in an a cappella group is the friends that one makes among group members. "As far as my experience with the D-8 is concerned," said group Music Director Nathaniel Langer '05, "the best part about singing in the group is without a doubt the other guys. I have met many of my best friends through the group and after four years I still look forward to going to rehearsal and spending time with the other guys."