Field Hockey Rolls to 9-0, Ranks Second in the Country

Author: Tom McCann

In every sport, every team chasing a championship will have one week, weekend, or game that could potentially make or break the season. The past week might have been that period for the Middlebury field hockey team. Facing a home game against Keene State, and then a crucial trip to Amherst, the field hockey women knew that their season was on the line and they came through when it mattered most.

On Wednesday Oct. 1, Keene State made the trip to Middlebury and found that the hottest team in NESCAC field hockey was not about to cool off. The Panthers shot out of the blocks and took the lead with barely three minutes gone after a goal from Channing Weymouth '06, assisted by Missy Krempa '04 following a penalty corner. Ten minutes later Middlebury extended its lead when Krempa fired home a goal of her own. Then, with the first half drawing to a close and Keene State keen to regroup during the break, Ashley Lyddane '06 effectively put the game out of reach with a third goal for the Panthers. Up 3-0 at halftime, Middlebury wasable to take its foot of the pedal a little in the second period and looked set to clinch the game by the same score line when Weymouth put the icing on the cake with her second goal of the game, sealing a 4-0 victory.

That win took the Panthers to a 7-0 opening to the season, tying the start made by the '98 NCAA Championship team. In an attempt to improve that record, Middlebury traveled to Amherst in what could potentially be a season-turning game for the winner. Middlebury struggled to find their feet in the first half but after 25 minutes, the first goal of the game came the way of the Panthers when Allison Smith '06 found the back of the net with a deflected shot. That goal, from Middlebury's only shot to that point, looked set to take Middlebury into a 1-0 halftime lead when Amherst suddenly turned the tide with two goals in the last minute of the first half. Just eight seconds remained when Amherst scored their second goal, leaving Middlebury to walk off the field devastated at having let the lead slip away and then allowing themselves to fall behind.

The Middlebury women knew the importance of the game for their season and came out in the second half determined to restore their advantage. Failing to do so could have had disasterous consequences for their title aspirations. Becca Brakeley '04 commented, "We were a different team in the second half. Our passing and running was better, and everything just seemed to come together." A little over five minutes after the restart, Smith was able to bring Middlebury level with her second goal of the game, finally igniting the Panthers. With the game on the line and time ticking away, Middlebury needed someone to come through in the clutch. Then, with a little over 10 minutes remaining the Panthers found that player in top scorer Char Glessner '04. She was on hand to put Middlebury back in front with her team-high seventh goal of the season and it could not have come at a more important time. Middlebury were able to hold on for the remainder of the game and came out of Amherst with a precious win, their eighth straight, while Amherst slumped to their second consecutive defeat.

Fresh off a gritty victory at Amherst, Middlebury were on the road again last Tuesday to visit Union. In truth, there was only really one team in the game and only one result was ever likely. Brakeley explained that Middlebury basically overran the Union midfield with Glessner being asked to play out on the wing, drawing defenders to her. With Glessner pulling players to the wing, the middle of the field was wide open and afforded Middlebury the ability to fire shots at will toward the Union goal. The score was 3-0 at halftime and Middlebury went on to add five more goals in the second half with goals coming from Smith (2), Krempa, Abigail Lamb '04, Lauryn Nicasio '05, Ashley Albrittain-Ross '07 and a pair from Lyddane, one from a rare assist by defender Brakeley and another from a stunning, mid-air, baseball style swing of the stick that launched the ball into the back of the net having been deflected in her direction off a defender's stick. Union did manage a consolation goal in the final seconds, completing the scoring for an 8-1 Middlebury win.

After a week of massive significance for Middlebury, the Panthers are enjoying a perfect, unprecedented 9-0 start to the season. While talk of a championship may be a little premature at this point, there is nothing to indicate that Middlebury are not capable of going all the way this season. The Panthers have swept all who have stood before them so far this year and have an opportunity this weekend to take their season to a perfect 10-0 with a win at home to Williams. Brakeley underlined the importance of that game by stating, "The Williams game is huge. It's likely that we could host the NESCAC's if we win." Based on current form, with Williams' only defeat coming against Bowdoin, it should be another close game for Middlebury but it would take a brave person to bet against Middlebury continuing their sparkling form.